Help for Black Pine backbudding

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Right now you have long, straight primary branches without movement or taper and the main branching is all at the end of your primary branches. A tree with a thin trunk looks leggy with this kind of branch configuration. Also, long term, it will only get more leggy because there is little on the interior to cut back to. In my experience, these interior locations on older wood are very difficult locations on which to encourage backbudding. It may be that you will need to consider grafting shoots to these locations. Grafting is a common technique on black pine to produce new shoots on old branches, correcting leggy growth. I have trees with dozens of grafts, some of which are now the primary branches. I’ll probably graft several dozen more scions this coming spring - I graft almost every season.
Grafting always scary me, there is a good tutorial around ? Never tried with pines btw....

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grafting always scary me, there is a good tutorial around ? Never tried with pines btw....
I’ve a thread on the topic. Perhaps it will help you. It’s only scary the first few times you do it. After a while it becomes routine, really. Learning the technique will significantly expand your vision of what can be accomplished.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve a thread on the topic. Perhaps it will help you. It’s only scary the first few times you do it. After a while it becomes routine, really. Learning the technique will significantly expand your vision of what can be accomplished.
Very interesting, I will try next months, I have a black pine in the garden that can be a good donor, this tree I was thinking a scott pine but at the end is a ABP

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-complicate-scott-pine.60703/

What is the best moment of the year feb/mar?

Last edited:
Top Bottom