Help Identifying Vietnamese tree species

Reaction score
IMG_20231117_145349392_HDR.jpgIMG_20231117_145409797.jpgIMG_20231126_131938407_HDR.jpgIMG_20231126_131944617_HDR.jpg
Hello there! Due to the success of my last post regarding trees abroad i thought i'd give it another shot.

I recently traveled to Vietnam and encountered lots and lots of incredible trees with all sorts of crazy Aerial roots. There was one type of tree however that seemed to outdo all the others. I only photographed one, but only one street over were two more that looked just like it. Anybody want to take a guess what the species is?

The first two pictures are of the full-size tree. Unfortunately i didn't shoot the leaves up close. The third and fourth picture are of a Bonsai that i encountered in a different spot that i'm fairly sure is the same species. This one was in an area with many other (mostly ficus) bonsai and it too had way more aerial roots than the other trees.

Guess away!

Also pretty confident those are some sort of Ficus.
The leaves are different from most we usually see so someone may recognize and be able to ID to species but Ficus are notoriously difficult to ID just from leaves because there's over 850 different species with many of them looking superficially similar.
Assuming these are native to Vietnam that narrows it down to around 20 different species.

Pretty sure it is some sort of banyan tree - which is a sub-genus of ficus.
View attachment 520210View attachment 520211View attachment 520212View attachment 520213
Hello there! Due to the success of my last post regarding trees abroad i thought i'd give it another shot.

I recently traveled to Vietnam and encountered lots and lots of incredible trees with all sorts of crazy Aerial roots. There was one type of tree however that seemed to outdo all the others. I only photographed one, but only one street over were two more that looked just like it. Anybody want to take a guess what the species is?

The first two pictures are of the full-size tree. Unfortunately i didn't shoot the leaves up close. The third and fourth picture are of a Bonsai that i encountered in a different spot that i'm fairly sure is the same species. This one was in an area with many other (mostly ficus) bonsai and it too had way more aerial roots than the other trees.

Guess away!
I grew up there. If you asked the owners of the bonsai in your pictures, all they can tell you is that those trees are “Sanh” or “Si”. They are commonly regarded as Ficus benjamina L.

As many has pointed out there are many variants of this sub-genus.

Back
Top Bottom