Help needed repotting

JojoDav

Seed
Reaction score
My bonsai tree roots are large approx. 6-7 inch deep and I think this is my fault as I fell into the trap of thinking when I repot it that they need to go in a larger pot. I would like to either maintain the pot size or reduce the pot, these tree have kinda been left to their own devices other than being watered, fed and potted. Please can you help me by letting me know what the best out of the two above would be. I am a novice and would like to ensure I treat them with love as I have had them a good 10 years. Ideally I want to purchase a bonsai pot but they aren’t that deep so that might not be the best action but if I did purchase one that was a good 5 inch deep will it kill off the tree? It is time to repot so please help me with this. I am putting pics of the types of trees I have, I know I haven’t trimmed them but that is next on the list to learn how to do that after potting them. Thanks for the help in advance. [attachment=37121]D1A30EBB-B2A5-4965-A0D6-5380CAEB96F1.jpeg[/attachment] [attachment=37121]D1A30EBB-B2A5-4965-A0D6-5380CAEB96F1.jpeg[/attachment]

Attachments

• 289729C5-5E27-41DD-9A3E-D71DCF5CF57A.jpeg
    289729C5-5E27-41DD-9A3E-D71DCF5CF57A.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 39

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A bonsai pot should be fine. These are pretty tough. Obviously the watering requirements will increase the smaller you go.

JojoDav

Seed
Reaction score
A bonsai pot should be fine. These are pretty tough. Obviously the watering requirements will increase the smaller you go.
So if I just get a pot that has a certain depth the roots are about 6inch deep so do I try to find one that is 6-7inch deep because these are hard to find? What is the smaller depth I could go if I continue to have issues finding one this deep?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So if I just get a pot that has a certain depth the roots are about 6inch deep so do I try to find one that is 6-7inch deep because these are hard to find? What is the smaller depth I could go if I continue to have issues finding one this deep?
There is no problem cutting some roots. This is bonsai and we have discovered that most trees have no problem with having some roots cut off. Some species cope really well with a lot of root reduction - up to 90% of roots removed. We can even grow new plants as cuttings where, essentially all roots are removed and the stem grows new roots.
Plants naturally lose roots all the time in the ground - drought, animals and insects, fungi and disease all attack roots but that happens underground so we don't see it and therefore don't understand that plants can cope with it.
Roots respond to root pruning just like branches above ground. When we prune a branch new shoots appear and result in more branches. Same happens with root pruning - removing some roots results in more roots growing to replace.
Yours looks like a ficus and should have no problem with 50% or more roots reduction at repotting. With most of my ficus I take up to 80% of roots if necessary.
This may sound frightening and may be first time you do it but perfectly safe to do.

JojoDav

Seed
Reaction score
There is no problem cutting some roots. This is bonsai and we have discovered that most trees have no problem with having some roots cut off. Some species cope really well with a lot of root reduction - up to 90% of roots removed. We can even grow new plants as cuttings where, essentially all roots are removed and the stem grows new roots.
Plants naturally lose roots all the time in the ground - drought, animals and insects, fungi and disease all attack roots but that happens underground so we don't see it and therefore don't understand that plants can cope with it.
Roots respond to root pruning just like branches above ground. When we prune a branch new shoots appear and result in more branches. Same happens with root pruning - removing some roots results in more roots growing to replace.
Yours looks like a ficus and should have no problem with 50% or more roots reduction at repotting. With most of my ficus I take up to 80% of roots if necessary.
This may sound frightening and may be first time you do it but perfectly safe to do.
Oh Ok thanks so much for this I really appreciate you giving me this insight I will do that then and hopefully it does well when being repotted. Do you recommend letting the tree settle in a new pot before I start to trim the leaves so I don’t cause too much stress to the bonsai?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oh Ok thanks so much for this I really appreciate you giving me this insight I will do that then and hopefully it does well when being repotted. Do you recommend letting the tree settle in a new pot before I start to trim the leaves so I don’t cause too much stress to the bonsai?
Assuming this is ginseng ficus (F. microcarpa) preferred time for root pruning is warmer weather. You have not given any indication of your location or whether the tree lives indoors at what temps so hard to give good advice on timing. Down here we keep most ficus outdoors for most of the year so repotting time is late spring through to mid summer. In more tropical areas repot ficus year round. With good, warm indoor conditions repot ficus any time but with cooler indoor temps warmer weather is safer. Delaying repot for a few months won't hurt the plant. Rushing in too quick may.
When I repot ficus I usually prune hard and often fully defoliate at the same time but that's with healthy, vigorous trees. I know a lot of others repot with leaves intact to help the tree produce food to grow new roots. Both approaches seem to work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A confidence builder.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom