Help needed with Eu. Olive styling

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this tree so much. And the whole progression was fascinating to see.

I'm starting to get pretty interested in olives. I just bought my first one.

I'm curious about wintering this tree. Here in southern MO we occasionally get some nasty winters. What do you do?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I'm curious about wintering this tree. Here in southern MO we occasionally get some nasty winters. What do you do?
I give mine a couple weeks of weather in the forties then into the greenhouse with the tropicals, it loves it.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thanks Grant, it's really a cool tree in person for sure.
Mine is inside for the winter already with my BRT. Just a south facing window, with a regular fluorescent above, nothing special. And a seedling heat mat just to keep the pot nice and warm when the window gets a bit cooler in the winter.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today a jailbird watched while I took this tree back a bit, well a bit more than a bit actually! The cuttings wound up filling a 5 gallon bucket...
I may cut back further on some of the thicker branches once I see where I get buds. I took off all the old leaves, they were getting pretty dirty, as the tree has not shed old leaves for quite some time now. I did not and will not repot this year, and some of the branches I took off were 2' long at least. So hopefully this tree has plenty of juice to start right back up.
P1020308.jpg P1020311.jpg P1020312.jpg P1020314.jpg P1020316.jpg P1020317.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy,

What an amazing tree. this is one that really makes you stop in your tracks and think many things, mainly wow. Also gives me some great ideas on how to proceed with some of my smaller trunked chopped projects. ( and the value of wiring new shoots!!) very nice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@JudyB ...tree is looking great! But...my mind is focused on your fur baby...so beautiful. I'm sure you've slipped into a routine of sorts...but how is it going?
Well it sure sucked for a couple days. Long story, but there were power issues the day the surgery happened. The top screw wound up in a place the doc wasn't happy with, but thought would be ok. The first night we had storms, and he hates those, between being in a cage, the cone thing and the storm he went berserk. We also think the tylenol 4's that we started him on that night exacerbated the problem. So I wound up spending the night in the crate with him... The joint was clicking when he'd walk the next day, so took him back and they had to open it back up and redo that screw.
Got some new meds, that don't mess with his mind as much and a soft cone and it's better...but still no fun zone.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy,

What an amazing tree. this is one that really makes you stop in your tracks and think many things, mainly wow. Also gives me some great ideas on how to proceed with some of my smaller trunked chopped projects. ( and the value of wiring new shoots!!) very nice.
yes, wiring new shoots. Will (grouper52) would call this baby bending, something Dan Robinson advocates.
Should be interesting to see where this goes this summer. Thanks Waltron.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well it sure sucked for a couple days. Long story, but there were power issues the day the surgery happened. The top screw wound up in a place the doc wasn't happy with, but thought would be ok. The first night we had storms, and he hates those, between being in a cage, the cone thing and the storm he went berserk. We also think the tylenol 4's that we started him on that night exacerbated the problem. So I wound up spending the night in the crate with him... The joint was clicking when he'd walk the next day, so took him back and they had to open it back up and redo that screw.
Got some new meds, that don't mess with his mind as much and a soft cone and it's better...but still no fun zone.
Oh no! I hate hearing what you and he had to face...surgery isn't fun...but, to have to do a redo...and then a storm on top of things. Not good at all. With the Bulldogs we never used the cones. They couldn't reach...but...with the Aussie she's had to do the cone of shame. Not fun...I'm glad you found a soft cone works for him...what we don't do for our fur babies...(((hugs))) I'm proud to say I know you. Your good through and through. By spending the night with him in his crate. That is so something I've done...well, xpen. After those few earlier days...your days now must be seemingly much easier. I'm truly sorry you two had to face what you did. Not normal circumstances at all.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the canopy of the first photo, which I think could be an exceptional front, which is probably the back.. reminds me of an old patriarch deer with massive antlers, photo 3 with the uro which id guess is your front? kinda reminds me of some little cyclops medusa monster or ocean creature or something. overall just an epic bonsai image with several viewing angles and exceptional detail, balance and character. I think this tree would fair well in a classic japanese show.. or even a nick lentz themed more american image. I haven't even read the thread, but from the first image I went to the end and saw the current image and was just wow.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the canopy of the first photo, which I think could be an exceptional front, which is probably the back.. reminds me of an old patriarch deer with massive antlers, photo 3 with the uro which id guess is your front? kinda reminds me of some little cyclops medusa monster or ocean creature or something. overall just an epic bonsai image with several viewing angles and exceptional detail, balance and character. I think this tree would fair well in a classic japanese show.. or even a nick lentz themed more american image. I haven't even read the thread, but from the first image I went to the end and saw the current image and was just wow.
Oh, you should go read the thread. I've even reread it, it's very entertaining, and informative. I was reticent to take the advice given to me after asking for ideas, but did come around after all. And reminds me of how this forum used to be back then too.

Actually pic one is the current front, but I like the other side too, which is why I put those other shots in, so you could see the whole thing in glorious 2d!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One heck of a tree!
Really like to see this leaf out for you:)
So gnarly like an old oak.
The more I look ,the more I appreciate it.
What are them chairs called that everyone coverts to a bonsai turntable? They elevate too,right?I just have to experiance shaping bonsai in my livingroom.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's a really beautiful tree Judy.

But it really hurts seeing an animal in a cage...
Animal is recovering from surgery...for a good outcome...sometimes it's a necessity. I know Judy never crates. This crate was bought souly for recovery period only. ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a really beautiful tree Judy.

But it really hurts seeing an animal in a cage...
Believe me when I tell you that it kills my soul to have to confine a dog that has spent his whole life romping around on the farm. But he blew out his knee and the surgery to repair it is bone surgery, so they must be kept from running or jumping for ten weeks. It's very hard for all of us even the other dog.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
it kills my soul to have to confine a dog that has spent his whole life romping around on the farm. But he blew out his knee and the surgery to repair it is bone surgery, so they must be kept from running or jumping for ten weeks.

Oh, then I understand.

I couldn't think someone I only know from a few messages on a forum but that I felt was a nice, sensitive person would be so cruel. Sorry for my misinterpretation. My apologies, and my best wishes for you all :cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Judy, I'm glad your dog appears to be recovering well.

I've never defoliate one of my olives, but I'm sure it will pop for you. What I do is l pull off the bottom leaves, and do a hard cut back, keeping side leaves. New shoots tend to emerge from the bases of the remaining leaves.

Top Bottom