Help needed with Eu. Olive styling

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. So I wound up spending the night in the crate with him.

P.O.I.D.H. !

Lol!

Maybe it's cuz he's doped up...
But he looks quite content!
Happier than I initially figured.

@Waltron and All...

This is one of THE BEST...
"Spirit of Bnut" threads.

Great for self growth!

I don't know if it's coincidence...
But Judys entire collection seems to have gotten exponentially better since.

Speaking of better....
(besides get well pup)
This tree is too!

The lil reverse taper that was slightly bothersome before...
Seems to be disappearing amidst a combination of more trunk, better bark, and wildly placed.."f olive you" branching!

If there is some kind of magnetic phenomenon that runs around the earth creating better bonsai artists...
You know...
The one that runs through @MACH5 s Jersey, Judy's Ohio...
Clearly missed @LanceMac10 in NH:p

I hope it runs thru Berwyn!

If you would like to know more of my thoughts on this tree and thread....

Enter ; awesome and fantastic....
Here.
http://www.thesaurus.com/

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would honestly not fully defoliate a tree. It really weakens a tree and there are long term hazards to doing this. The better option is to just partial defoliate the outer canopy and keeping the inner growth and leaves. This can be done 2-3 times a season depending on the species and produces much more controlled and great growth.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's a really beautiful tree Judy.

But it really hurts seeing an animal in a cage...
Doctor's orders... she has a note from me, the orthopedic surgeon, her regular vet... it's so important to rest the dog post surgery, I routinely prescribe sedatives for everyone involved:cool:.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really nice work on that olive Judy! That bark is so wonderful! How long does it take for branches to bark? Also glad your big kid is doing well from the surgery. Tough but it will end :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doctor's orders... she has a note from me, the orthopedic surgeon, her regular vet... it's so important to rest the dog post surgery, I routinely prescribe sedatives for everyone involved:cool:.
You mean like tonight's Margaritas?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How long does it take for branches to bark?
I'll let you know in about 10 years or so... :p
@Giga This one needed to start fresh with all new leaves. This thing grows like a banshee, so not too worried about making it weak. It didn't get a repot, so should be nuts back out of the gate.
@Adair M I wanted all new foliage, as most were covered with a rust from my watering system rust filter not doing a great job. (new filtration system this year and it's great!) The other trees were not a big issue for this as they loose their leaves yearly, but this one needed to start fresh. I tried cleaning each leaf, but that was not easy or fun.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll let you know in about 10 years or so... :p
@Giga This one needed to start fresh with all new leaves. This thing grows like a banshee, so not too worried about making it weak. It didn't get a repot, so should be nuts back out of the gate.
@Adair M I wanted all new foliage, as most were covered with a rust from my watering system rust filter not doing a great job. (new filtration system this year and it's great!) The other trees were not a big issue for this as they loose their leaves yearly, but this one needed to start fresh. I tried cleaning each leaf, but that was not easy or fun.
I understand. I would have left the old leaves on until the new shoots had emerged. And removed the remaining old leaves once the new shoots had sent out 4 or 5 leaves.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand. I would have left the old leaves on until the new shoots had emerged. And removed the remaining old leaves once the new shoots had sent out 4 or 5 leaves.
As I expected, the tree is covered with new leaves, and has back budded in many places on old wood. yay. So if your olive is growing well and is healthy, I see no reason to hesitate to defoliate.
P1020367.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As I expected, the tree is covered with new leaves, and has back budded in many places on old wood. yay. So if your olive is growing well and is healthy, I see no reason to hesitate to defoliate.
View attachment 150017
Judy, are you getting budding back in the interior?

Or mostly around the perimeter of the canopy?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy, are you getting budding back in the interior?

Or mostly around the perimeter of the canopy?
Everywhere, in copious amounts. I may have to rub some out, but for now, letting it all go. It is a bit hard to see in the photo, some of them are still very tiny.

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, that is one seriously wonderful tree you have there. I like the wild look to it. The transformation from where it started is really great.

When I look at it I see an image of the painting of Jesus praying in Gesthsemane. Not to bring religion into this, just an image I see in my mind from childhood.

Top Bottom