Help! Satsuki Azaela

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have thought Fresno would be similar enough to Sacramento and the north valley for them to thrive there, too. I've heard that Mr. Maruyama specifically chose Sac for the favorable azalea climate.

Too dry further south?
The line is Merced. Merced and above gets the cooling air from the bay via the delta. We get none of that in Fresno and just plain hot, and dry. Some retired people here have had some success, but if your a working stiff....not so much.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The line is Merced. Merced and above gets the cooling air from the bay via the delta. We get none of that in Fresno and just plain hot, and dry. Some retired people here have had some success, but if your a working stiff....not so much.
Merced also happens to be the rain line also. Below Merced, 7 to 10 inches a year. Above Merced jumps to 14 to 20 inches a year. Sacramento gets about 20+

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have thought Fresno would be similar enough to Sacramento and the north valley for them to thrive there, too. I've heard that Mr. Maruyama specifically chose Sac for the favorable azalea climate.

Too dry further south?

Some of Murayama's azalea's for sale
DSC_00010001.JPGDSC_00020002.JPGDSC_00100010.JPGDSC_00240024.JPGDSC_00260026.JPGDSC_00390039.JPGDSC_00400040.JPGDSC_00410041.JPGDSC_00440044.JPG

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Makes sense. We've got the heat in Chico, but some humidity during the summer. The handful of azaleas I have do well. From what I understand, Maruyama chose Sac for the heat, but delta moisture (and evening cooldown) has to be part of that equation.

Murayama's azalea's ...

I always try to get in a couple visits during May/June. Magical time in that nursery.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes sense. We've got the heat in Chico, but some humidity during the summer. The handful of azaleas I have do well. From what I understand, Maruyama chose Sac for the heat, but delta moisture (and evening cooldown) has to be part of that equation.

I always try to get in a couple visits during May/June. Magical time in that nursery.
That evening cooldown is the important part of the equation. We just don't get that here. In summer at 6 Am it's still 85 degrees from the day before and starts going up from there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
ah
When you do apply fungicides, bear in mind that many, especially those containing copper, are phytotoxic when applied at high temperatures [80 degrees and above]. I know of three dead cherry trees that can attest to this.

ahh yes i had an idea of this but thanks for reassuring 👍🏻

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?

Too dry further south?

yeah bro i got fam in sac and its way dryer n hotter here

Top Bottom