Satsuki Azalea help

Alfa0015

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I got this Satsuki Azalea yesterday, and I don’t have any experience. I live in Norman, Oklahoma and the temperature now is cold. I read that I have to have it outside and Heel-in it. I live on a third floor, so I just put it outside the window, but I don’t know what to do with the wind or the temperature. Should I keep it inside for now since it is new? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DA53DC0D-F31C-4EF0-8580-9C5F84D317F1.jpeg
    DA53DC0D-F31C-4EF0-8580-9C5F84D317F1.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 6351C914-4C35-475C-9995-6D593222D9BB.png
    6351C914-4C35-475C-9995-6D593222D9BB.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 31
Welcome Aboard to Bonsai Nut! It’s great to see another ‘Nut join the Bonsai Forest.

Please move the satsuki inside.

Yes, satsuki do best outside, but can’t handle freezing temperatures while potted , especially young trees, when the rootball freezes solid.

Also the winds in your area will dissicate the tree.

Together that spells sure death.

You are a big hamstrung as far as options for raising satsuki. Keeping it inside for the duration is the main option.
In this case one would want an overhead led light source on a timer and mist occasionally, ensuring the media is moist, not wet.

If there is an indoor garage, preferably with a window, that doesn’t freeze a lot would be a really good option
In this case one would want an overhead led light source on a timer, an heat mat on a thermostat and mist occasionally, ensuring the media is moist, not wet.

Here’s a garage set up for cuttings. There is a heat mat under the seedlings. Thermostat is an Inkbird with external probe

IMG_0641.jpegIMG_0642.jpeg

An indoor set up would involve lights and timer. Set light timer for 12 hours. When daylight outside grows, adjust accordingly.

Good Luck!
DSD sends

What do think about this? I filled up a pot with dead leaves and wood. Would it he ok to keep it like this with my window open?

Attachments

• A96575FF-A5C8-468A-986B-636E97FA1636.jpeg
    A96575FF-A5C8-468A-986B-636E97FA1636.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 23
Those temps are in Fahrenheit, right? If they were Celsius and you had a large garden satsuki, they probably would be ok.
But it is F, it is a small plant and in a pot.

Yes, you should move it indoors until there's no more near-freezing temperatures.
I guess you could have a yearly cycle so that in autumn, it can experience a winter period and go into dormancy. But then when it gets actually cold, you move it indoors until it is fully spring.

Ideally, you have an unheated place indoors that has plenty of light. And it can go there when it gets really cold. But it will also stay dormant there because it is not warm.
The alternative is that you wake up up fully and grow it indoors during winter. The transition in spring back to outdoors is always a bit challenging.

I grow satsuki under grow lights indoors to speed up my plant breeding. And that works decently well. But with higher temperatures, it also needs light.
But I have an actual setup. I don't just move them indoors near a window.

Not what I'd recommend, even if thes e temps are C. ...but gosh, one could always try it.

At least get rid of the dead leaves and wood (fungus) and use media... and put drainage holes in the container below.

Let us know how this worked please.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
Those temps are in Fahrenheit, right? If they were Celsius and you had a large garden satsuki, they probably would be ok.
But it is F, it is a small plant and in a pot.

Yes, you should move it indoors until there's no more near-freezing temperatures.
I guess you could have a yearly cycle so that in autumn, it can experience a winter period and go into dormancy. But then when it gets actually cold, you move it indoors until it is fully spring.

Ideally, you have an unheated place indoors that has plenty of light. And it can go there when it gets really cold. But it will also stay dormant there because it is not warm.
The alternative is that you wake up up fully and grow it indoors during winter. The transition in spring back to outdoors is always a bit challenging.

I grow satsuki under grow lights indoors to speed up my plant breeding. And that works decently well. But with higher temperatures, it also needs light.
But I have an actual setup. I don't just move them indoors near a window.
Hello, those temperature are in celsius, but I dont have a large garden Satsuki. This is my only bonsai 😅.

Not what I'd recommend, but gosh, one could always try it.

At least get rid of the dead leaves and wood (fungus) and use media... and put drainage holes in the container below.

Let us know how this worked please.

cheers
DSD sends
I will just keep it inside then 😅. How long do you give them artificial light?

Back
Top Bottom