• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The graft looks OK
When is it that you decide @markyscott it is safe to cut off, may I ask?

Ideally as described here. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/grafting-101.26456/page-3#post-430577

Not ideally is to break the shoot prematurely while you are working on the tree, which is the option I went with here. Good news is that the side exiting the graft was bigger than the side entering it, so I think the graft had taken. But we’ll see if it makes it. Here’s a closeup before I went with option B

E875CC5A-E40E-4982-A8EE-E1A8F24A5B32.jpeg

S

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Not ideally is to break the shoot prematurely while you are working on the tree, which is the option I went with here. Good news is that the side exiting the graft was bigger than the side entering it, so I think the graft had taken. But we’ll see if it makes it. Here’s a closeup before I went with option B
So, breaking the shoot prematurely is called option "B" :)
Interesting to know there is an option "B" :p

Because this is an approach graft and not a thread graft (as in the above link) I was wondering if the shoot would really behave the same way. I mean getting bigger at the exiting side.
Thank you for the clarification.
May I also ask which is the mechanism behind this?
Is it perhaps the fact that all buds behind the graft are removed and only those lying above are kept?

Aaahh And... those fingernails ps://www.bonsainut.com/threads/grafting-101.26456/page-3#post-430577 are not yours for sure :D
We have seen your hands working in other photos you have posted...

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks a great picture to show how you let the branches run to thicken up.

I got 3 nice size tridents from Bill V's yearly spring sale this year. I'll be rereading your posts on tridents to help me get them started in the right direction.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks a great picture to show how you let the branches run to thicken up.

I got 3 nice size tridents from Bill V's yearly spring sale this year. I'll be rereading your posts on tridents to help me get them started in the right direction.

I’m glad you got something out of it.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of graduations, when are you going to be able to finish the Intensives?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Tree #4. I’ve decided to pair down to one. That means one lucky SOB will walk away with this tree at the convention. These develop so quickly. Should be ready to show in a couple of years. Today I pulled the wire off and did a light cutback.

D401FA93-49EB-4562-A7CA-3BA768D86D52.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Time to work the tree again. I found a caterpillar gnawing in the apical growth and a fair number of wooly aphids. I removed them mechanically and sprayed with insecticidal soap. I pruned back and wired the new growth. Here’s the before picture.

FBCF73DF-2C9A-4A71-AD27-1592B61E227F.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good! See you in a couple days in Valley Springs!

Top Bottom