Help with lack of roots in Chinese Elm

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Hi

I bought a Chinese Elm about two months ago and it just simply does not grow. I've done about as much as I can do. It didn't have much of a root system to begin with. I root pruned it because it was mostly a thickened root in itself with no radial roots. This is what it had at the beginning and after two months it continues like this:
IMG_1214.jpg

I read that after root and branch pruning they take about 6-9 weeks to recover. I'm in Florida. The tree is definitely alive, it just will not grow roots. I realize this is one of those commercial imported type of Chinese Elm.
IMG_1211.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How often do you water it?

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I watered it often and even followed the advice of soaking it with the pot in water for a while, to help hydrate the roots, but it just will not root.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure about how Chinese elms grow in Florida, but over here the robust growth for the year is over. I'd leave the tree alone, just keep it watered when it gets dry but be sure not to overwater. If you have only a few trees, you might be loving it too much. Try to ignore it (except for watering) until next year. Over-loved trees tend to not do so well.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I think the roots are dehydrated, but I understand you Zach when you say to leave it alone. This is my first deciduous tree too, because I come from the tropics. It could start a dormancy behavior soon because it's September. I just worry that it's been 2-3 months since I got it and it doesn't grow any roots.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is the tree wired into the pot? If there is any type of movement in the pot, the roots won't grow.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Yes, it's wired. I think that what Zach is saying makes sense. It could be that the robust growing season is over and it needs to just wait until the next season, since I'm not really sure how Chinese Elms grow in Florida.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anything it is probably overwatered. Chinese elms can dry out a bit between watering with no problems especially with your humidity levels in Florida. Pumice is a great medium for root growth and it will dry out pretty fast. You might think about putting it in a colander to promote root growth. And I would stop pulling it up every 3 months to check the roots ?

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
If anything it is probably overwatered. Chinese elms can dry out a bit between watering with no problems especially with your humidity levels in Florida. Pumice is a great medium for root growth and it will dry out pretty fast. You might think about putting it in a colander to promote root growth. And I would stop pulling it up every 3 months to check the roots ?

That also makes sense too. I have it in turface, peat moss, compost, and perlite, but Florida is obviously really different so I might need different medium here. I actually thought it was dried out. I added more peat.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, it's wired. I think that what Zach is saying makes sense. It could be that the robust growing season is over and it needs to just wait until the next season, since I'm not really sure how Chinese Elms grow in Florida.
I have a Chinese elm here in Dallas and it's definitely still growing like crazy. I'm sure that the growing season in Florida is longer than it is here so I don't see why yours shouldn't still be growing. I'd just try to keep it as still and stable in the pot as possible and hope for the best next spring

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Just a guess but it's mallsai and was prob planted in pure soaking wet peat moss. Just like the ficus they sell. And I've seen similar root systems on them with little to no feeder roots. At least it's in a better mix now. Leave it alone for all of next year too, and I bet by spring 2020 that little pot will be full of roots.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Just a guess but it's mallsai and was prob planted in pure soaking wet peat moss. Just like the ficus they sell. And I've seen similar root systems on them with little to no feeder roots. At least it's in a better mix now. Leave it alone for all of next year too, and I bet by spring 2020 that little pot will be full of roots.

Yes, it's mallsai, definitely! It had no feeder roots at all. And these Elms are slower to fix than the ficus. I've fixed some mallsai ficuses, but this Chinese Elm will be slower. I will have to leave it alone, as you say. Thanks!

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I have a Chinese elm here in Dallas and it's definitely still growing like crazy. I'm sure that the growing season in Florida is longer than it is here so I don't see why yours shouldn't still be growing. I'd just try to keep it as still and stable in the pot as possible and hope for the best next spring

I was not expecting this tree to be this way. But since it's imported, the root system was very weak. I'm hoping that it will still root this year since it's only September. Do yours in Texas drops its leaves in winter?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was not expecting this tree to be this way. But since it's imported, the root system was very weak. I'm hoping that it will still root this year since it's only September. Do yours in Texas drops its leaves in winter?
Oh yeah it definitely loses its leaves for the winter but our real winter won't start for another couple months so there's still growing season left here

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’d put a bonsai wire tourniquet around its widest point, plant it in 100% pumice, make sure to anchor it well, water daily while it still has leaves, and otherwise leave it alone.

By next April you should be good.

Healthy specimens will root really quickly—a matter of days in the early half of the year.

I think your “tree” has too much moisture available with your soil, and has little reason to shoot more roots.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I’d put a bonsai wire tourniquet around its widest point, plant it in 100% pumice, make sure to anchor it well, water daily while it still has leaves, and otherwise leave it alone.

By next April you should be good.

Healthy specimens will root really quickly—a matter of days in the early half of the year.

I think your “tree” has too much moisture available with your soil, and has little reason to shoot more roots.

Thanks for your feedback! I will post an image again when it improves!

Top Bottom