Help with a Repotted nursery stock. Grey death?

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
IMG_5396.jpegIMG_5397.jpeg

Repotted this parsoni juniper in March after the last cold week into a pond basket and into inorganic soil from its nursery pot.

Last summer I did some basic styling but havent touched the foliage since.

Foliage is stiff, not growing any new shoots, not much browning at tips, but seems stunted.

Dud I remove too many roots?

Im keeping it in its usual position but trying to limit water to allow the roots to breathe.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Nuts!

Attachments

• IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 19

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to say without knowing what you did.
How much of the roots did you remove?

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hard to say without knowing what you did.
How much of the roots did you remove?
From a 3 gallon nursery pot of basic compost with lots of roots to a 1 gallon pond basket, so a fair amount lol

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may have repotted too early. I don't know, your in Texas and I'm in Oregon, but I usually do my juniper close to last. Well into May here for me. I like to see some buds, but before they open.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From a 3 gallon nursery pot of basic compost with lots of roots to a 1 gallon pond basket, so a fair amount lol
Ok so more than 50%?
Did the root mass you left on the tree have a lot of fine roots or mostly big roots.

I don't think your timing was off unless it was too warm down in Texas in March. What were the temperatures like when you repotted?

My junipers can be repotted here in NY now. In fact, I just did a bunch. I see bright green growing tips on mine. You should be earlier than me with repotting by at least a month if not more.

Last edited:

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Check for mites
Ill do that ty!
You may have repotted too early. I don't know, your in Texas and I'm in Oregon, but I usually do my juniper close to last. Well into May here for me. I like to see some buds, but before they open.
Yes maybe...I repotted most of my junipers at the same time, but this one is responding the worst.

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ok so more than 50%?
Did the root mass you left on the tree have a lot of fine roots or mostly big roots.

I don't think your timing was off unless it was too warm down in Texas in March. What were the temperatures like when you repotted?

My junipers can be repotted here in NY now. In fact, I just did a bunch. I see bright green growing tips on mine. You should be earlier than me with repotting by at least a month if not more.
Yeah probably more than 50%, but the root ball had lots of fine roots. I tried to remove most of the bigger thicker roots without touching the main tap root too much.

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Is it on death's door? or will it recover yall think?
Anything I can do to help it bounce back?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard to say. I try to stay within one third reduction and sometimes I have to leave some of the bigger roots for the next session. When I do exceed that limit, and it's usually on new nursery stock, the trees take longer to recover. If they are not recovered by the time it starts getting really hot they suffer some setback and appear to stall out. The effects will show up the following season with die back and browning out. Junnies are funny like that. They can stay green a long time and then suddenly, when it starts to warm up, they brown out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it on death's door? or will it recover yall think?
Anything I can do to help it bounce back?
Since it is probably getting hot down there in Texas and this tree is stressed, I would put it in a spot that gets morning sun and dappled shade during the hottest part of the day until you see signs of recovery. Water it when it needs it. You can also mist it a couple of times a day. Otherwise, leave it be and hope for the best.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering location, substrate, garbage used for pot and good appearance of foliage would suggest not to worry too much H2O. Make sure does not dry out is the big worry and do not keep in shade. Maybe partial shade☺️.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Im keeping it in its usual position but trying to limit water to allow the roots to allow roots to breathe
I would be wary of under watering as well as over watering

The roots will be breathing a lot more in a pond basket than a nursery can,

The water will flow much more freely from the pond basket also

As has been said misting the foliage can really help after a hard repot, I live in rainy England, far below texas heat and still mist my junipers on 'hot' days

Grunge_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I am with those saying it is going to have trouble transporting water in that setup. I have a juniper in similar circumstances. It is still green, but has been staring at me for almost a year with no growth. Not even sure the roots are growing. It gets more water than any of my trees and gives me the least amount back. I had to do a partial repot into more organic material (mixed in coco coir around the remaining roots). It was in all inorganic before the partial repot.
I am misting with the hose and saturating daily. Sometimes the foliage is softer than others.
You and I are in the same boat, with junie staring at us blankly.

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Let me know how your repot goes, i'm too worried to put it into more organics for fear of it not getting enough oxygen.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd put it in the sun, but we're experiencing an actual spring here. If you're getting into the mid-to-upper 80s, I'd situate it in bright/open shade and watch that it doesn't dry out.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’d also be checking for spider mites as @Dav4 mentioned. They’re by far our biggest pest down here, especially with junipers. I have a problem in my garden with them every year. Right now I’m currently dealing with them and plan to spray every single plant with insecticidal soap.

Last edited:

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I’d also be checking for spider mites as @Dav4 mentioned. They’re by far our biggest pest down here, especially with junipers. I have problem in my garden with them every year. Right now I’m currently dealing with them and plan to spray every single plant with insecticidal soap.
Funny I was just reading your thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/struggling-junipers.49569/page-2 about the topic lol

Definitely has me thinking maybe my Junipers are not getting enough sun. It gets about 2-3 in the morning and than another 3-4 before sundown, with partial shade/sun from my mulberry tree the other parts of the day.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Funny I was just reading your thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/struggling-junipers.49569/page-2 about the topic lol

Definitely has me thinking maybe my Junipers are not getting enough sun. It gets about 2-3 in the morning and than another 3-4 before sundown, with partial shade/sun from my mulberry tree the other parts of the day.
That situation was a bit different due to the tree having been worked heavily before I received it and in 3 different mixes in the same pot.

My junipers have been happy with as much sun as they can get provided they are well watered. I try to keep mine not quite as dry as say a JBP.

bentke466

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yes, agreed.
Im gonna check for mites today, but Im thinking the tree has a root problem. Feel like a new pot or repotting now would be a death sentence for the tree. Gonna keep misting it and make sure its getting plenty of sun.

Top Bottom