Hemlock Apex

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I definitely agree and that's the plan, these trees just grow so fast its hard to keep wire on them. You blink and its cutting in.
Looking good. I think you’re starting to get it. Glad to see it again!!

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks David, I'm going to need a teaching session this spring!

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any pot suggestions for this tree?

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pruned and wired for spring. This is about as good as this armature can do. Any criticism is appreciated. Also, still on the hunt for a pot.

20210302_213517.jpg
20210302_213526.jpg

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a major flaw in the top third of the tree that I'm not quite sure how to remedy. There are bar branches that are starting to cause swelling. 20210302_212317.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey hey, looking good.

I still think there is a flat top Cyprus style hiding in here, but what you are doing doesn’t work against it as a future design.

The lower thick branch is starting to work for me whereas I thought it was hopelessly out of scale previously.

the bar branches two nodes up from the thick branch is pretty distracting to me, but put some thought into it.. or different fronts before you pick one.

And, finally, I can’t wait to see how those roots look. When are you planning on seeing how they are doing? I was planning on repotting one of mine this Spring, but I went a little heavy on the winter pruning. I might do a Summer or Fall repot if it is pumping along like it has been.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pruned and wired for spring. This is about as good as this armature can do. Any criticism is appreciated. Also, still on the hunt for a pot.

View attachment 357919
View attachment 357920
Not quite sure about that lowest front branch. It’s a bit of an eye poker and heavy in caliper. I like the top slanting off to the right but it’s going to get away from you with so much foliage. There is a technique for that bar branch that uses a carving gouge in the top of the crouch which will peel the branch down just enough to solve the problem. I think hemlock are flexible and heal quickly enough to make it a good candidate. I think the tree is coming along nicely but it always hard for me to be definitive from photos.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not quite sure about that lowest front branch. It’s a bit of an eye poker
For best use of this branch see about new front. After this pick one of bar branches to keep.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 357919
View attachment 357920
The fundamental aspect of the design should be the trunk movement paired with the best possible nebari position. For that reason I would start by wiring the upper part of the trunk ( top 1/3) and creating a more interesting trunk line from a different front. The upper portion seems a bit uninteresting to me. Next, I would look at the largest lower branch and see how a major bend might create more of a drop branch effect but not directly toward the viewer as now. I would then consider the bar branch movement, it may be possible to change the perspective with angles. From the pictures I do not see the swelling concern. If it is present then choose one after the new front is determined. For Hemlock apex it clearly depends on whether you choose to leave branching with natural foliage upright or wire for downward movement in pads and cloud style formation. If moving towards the latter than the apex will need to be more rounded and this is often done by selecting three smaller branches at the very top and wiring them in a pin wheel type fashion to create a flatter area that can fill in with new foliage and create the apex.
The pictures likely obscure some upper gentle movement but I think it needs more interest. Just some observations and tweaks that I believe would improve the overall.
If bending the upper portion does not seem too productive then I would look at shortening that section by 1/3 and wiring the smaller branches and branchlets down. Here is an example of the difference once the smaller branches have been wired for apex and the top shortened. This is just the first styling so not refined at all. Rough example.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpeg
    IMG_1434.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1444.jpeg
    IMG_1444.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 35

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the advice gentlemen, and I agree on most counts, just the execution part is where I struggle. I want to keep the tree as natural looking as possible and thats probably where I get caught up.

The tree always looks better in person then when I see it in pictures, not so much.

I definitely want to get it into a pot this spring.

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the issues with this tree are well documented, but I think it looks great. Reminds me very much of hemlocks I see in nature. Gives me the impression of being exposed on a cliff edge or something, almost a little windswept. I would love to do a hemlock one day, this is an inspiration.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yikes you’re early. Mine haven’t even started to swell yet. Still snoozing!

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tell me about it, I've been doing the shuffle for two weeks now!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one wild type and it is swelling.. one warm day and it will extend. But my one from the box store is usually about 3 weeks behind.

Top Bottom