hey Yall! new to bonsai here, need advice with this first Juniper please!!

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
mods feel free to delete one of the posts. I was just trying to do the RIGHT thing by putting it in the Juniper section. If I could get some advice and maybe a warm welcome instead of getting flamed for trying to post it in the appropriate place, that would be great. Thanks for the advice guys, please keep it coming...

I also was wondering howcome Tam Junipers will not make good bonsai trees? I read this online, I just picked up a Tam Juniper for 10 bucks, it has a gorgeous trunk and branch direction...looks like it could make a fine specimen...but apparently not? thanks guys!

also, if I decide to plant this Nana in the ground that I have goin, should I wait a while for the roots to establish in the pot I just planted it in last week? or the sooner the better with it starting to get close to freezing temps at night?

I have soooo many questions, I really hope you guys can bring this newbie up to par. Iv gone from zero-sixty with most hobbies that GRAB me like this one. We may be looking back at this one day laughing! lol

thanks again everyone! seems to be a great group here, much knowledge. I hope to fit in well here! :)

-Jason-
If you just put it in the pot I would not do anything till spring. Just protect it this winter and let it adjust. Now is not the time to do any major work. You have a a few months to gain some knowledge. This is a great and infectious hobby but unfortunately you picked a bad time to start with winter coming especially in your zone. Do read up on the winter protection aspects of the craft.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Correct. In my opinion humidity trays are useless for any tree.

Ahhh the all inclusive statement. :) Surely you don't mean that though? Humidy trays are frequently vital for indoor tropicals, and extremely helpful for keeping shohin and mame healthy and happy during long hot days when people have to be at work and can't be at home to tend the trees during heat.

Junipers don't need humidity trays as a general rule... that is true... but everything is subject to location and habits of the hobbiest. If I lived somewhere arid, I very well might want to have them, if not a flat out misting system. Humidity trays are just a tool to help balance and control the immediate environment around a tree, as with any tool.. they are situational.

If one wishes to make an all inclusive statement, you should provide some points to that statement. :) You might find you've talked yourself out of it by the time you are done typing. :) Goodness knows I generally do. lol

I only mention all of this since this is in the newer learners area. Balancing opinion with evidence and reason is a thing.

Warmly - and with respect,

Victrinia

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not being facetious when I ask this, but is there actually a measurable effect of the change in humidity around the plant using one of those small trays?

I use an actual humidifier in my house all winter while the heat is running to balance the effect of the heater removing what humidity would exist and it literally has to run 24/7 to keep up. It's a pretty substantial amount of water being put back into the air.

I have a very accurate hygrometer that I use for my humidors, I wouldn't mind putting it to the test this winter if the effect has not been noted.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not being facetious when I ask this, but is there actually a measurable effect of the change in humidity around the plant using one of those small trays?

I use an actual humidifier in my house all winter while the heat is running to balance the effect of the heater removing what humidity would exist and it literally has to run 24/7 to keep up. It's a pretty substantial amount of water being put back into the air.

I have a very accurate hygrometer that I use for my humidors, I wouldn't mind putting it to the test this winter if the effect has not been noted.

As was said, It really depends on your climate. I've grown up in Colorado and Minnesota. Dry verses wet. Fill a humidity tray in a home in Denver and a home in Minnesota and see which one dries out first. I have about 10 tropicals that come into my office for the winter. Everyone tells me how humid my office feels. Some of that is the transpiration of water from the plants. But it's also the drip trays under my trees so I can water them without the mess.

I agree with a point you may be trying to make. Humidity isn't flowing up from this tray and saving a tropicals life! But it is increasing the overall humidity of a room which makes it a better place for that tree. Thus some people get a little tent, less water, easier to raise the humidity level.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm just asking questions, helps me to plan my approach for my tropicals when we discuss this stuff a little more in depth.

You had an added side benefit of improving the air quality in your office as well with the trees.

cooldaddyfunk286

Yamadori
Reaction score
an update...

So as you can see, I have been able to keep my hands off it, shes growing nicely after a feeding. I was considering taking off that long cascadable section after the winter, but I feel like I'll have too much of a traditional tree look...I have been just watching and contemplating on the moves I wanna make when the weather/tree permits...I have an idea or 2, we'll see.

as far as the humidity tray goes, I dont see it being much help for my situation, I don't see it being of any harm either because the pot has little feet on it, and the pot never actually makes contact with the water or rocks at all...just there for aesthetics right now, but if I can ditch it I probably would. I would rather just have the pots feet sitting right on the table...anyway heres some new pics...the only thing I might do is tie the trunk off to something so that the weight of the backside of this tree doesnt pull the whole thing more one way than the other, which may be happening already. but all is well, happy and healthy!

thanks guys!

20140929_213451_zps7437d42e.jpeg

20140929_213346_zps5e1b0962.jpeg

20140929_213358_zps3a2d6129.jpeg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That branch isn't heavy enough to outweigh the rest of your tree in the pot.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can always use that cascading branch as a sacrifice branch to thicken the trunk as you develop the rest of the tree, then later turn it into a Jin.

The tree should be wired into the pot for stability. If the pot falls over there goes the tree. I'm speaking from experience. I would just be careful rather than mess with pulling it out to wire it in.

cooldaddyfunk286

Yamadori
Reaction score
it is wired in, but it was my first time...its in there tight, but could be better...thats something Ill have down after 2-3 tries. so whats the idea behind the sacrifice branch? Iv heard of this. do you keep the plant in tact untill the trunk thickens up, and THEN cut the branch off in a few years? or do you cut it first?

thanks!...I love the idea of Jin.

Top Bottom