Hirt’s Gardens Unboxing Review!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wish I could say I had the same experience as y’all. Unfortunately, I only received one of the three plants I ordered. Checked and the shipping label is for all three, so I’m gonna have to contact them. Packaging was okay. The box was banged up and a fair amount of soil fell out, but I’m not blaming them for that, more than likely mishandling by USPS.

EC981451-B4E3-49F1-A151-639DCB8A5CCF.jpeg

Attachments

• D8FFB541-49BD-4702-B5C3-6B5CC4D19B90.jpeg
    D8FFB541-49BD-4702-B5C3-6B5CC4D19B90.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 23

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could say I had the same experience as y’all. Unfortunately, I only received one of the three plants I ordered. Checked and the shipping label is for all three, so I’m gonna have to contact them. Packaging was okay. The box was banged up and a fair amount of soil fell out, but I’m not blaming them for that, more than likely mishandling by USPS.

View attachment 461530
I am sure they will fix things for you. I have purchased from them at least a dozen times over the past 5 years with no issues.
My post office holds any box marked plants for me to pick up.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am sure they will fix things for you. I have purchased from them at least a dozen times over the past 5 years with no issues.
My post office holds any box marked plants for me to pick up.
I wanted to report back, they were very quick to apologize for the mix up and are shipping the remaining trees tomorrow! I’m very excited as there are going to be my mame projects, as I don’t have any currently.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wanted to report back, they were very quick to apologize for the mix up and are shipping the remaining trees tomorrow! I’m very excited as there are going to be my mame projects, as I don’t have any currently.
Very nice! I’m happy everything worked out! Good to know their customer service is first rate too!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got 3 on Tuseday and they were a lot smaller than those shown in your photos, maybe they are down to the runts.

Just noticed those were penumbra’s Seju’s not tthe Hokkaido.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to buy more but can't swing it right now. I may have to list a few pots for sale.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just saw this. I figure I would give some background on Hirts. They have been in business in the greater Cleveland, Ohio since 1915. My father used to go up to their previous location to purchase all of the vegetable plants for the garden, I remember going through the greenhouses every spring. They ended up selling that location to commercial developers since it was right on the corner of a busy intersection in Strongsville, Ohio probably 15 or more years ago. Their current location is about a 15 minute drive from my house out in the Medina, OH area. If you are local they welcome pickups and for people to shop the multiple greenhouses and pick out whatever you want, the hours are limited though since they switched their focus to online.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saw this. I figure I would give some background on Hirts. They have been in business in the greater Cleveland, Ohio since 1915. My father used to go up to their previous location to purchase all of the vegetable plants for the garden, I remember going through the greenhouses every spring. They ended up selling that location to commercial developers since it was right on the corner of a busy intersection in Strongsville, Ohio probably 15 or more years ago. Their current location is about a 15 minute drive from my house out in the Medina, OH area. If you are local they welcome pickups and for people to shop the multiple greenhouses and pick out whatever you want, the hours are limited though since they switched their focus to online.
So that is a 5.5 hour trip for me. What else is in the area if I take a couple days off? I have never been to Ohio.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I had a couple of big Hokkaidos before, the branches are so brittle that its impossible to bend, good luck to you.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So that is a 5.5 hour trip for me. What else is in the area if I take a couple days off? I have never been to Ohio.
The Cleveland Museum of art is fantastic and about 45 minutes north from the greenhouse. It's free and has a great mix of architecture. Also the Rock and Roll hall of Fame up in Cleveland. Honestly it depends what you are into, Amish country is a little more than an hour drive south from the greenhouse if you want to relax.

I don't really know what is big tourist wise. I've always wondered what the state tries to push for tourism other than Cedar Point.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Cleveland Museum of art is fantastic and about 45 minutes north from the greenhouse. It's free and has a great mix of architecture. Also the Rock and Roll hall of Fame up in Cleveland. Honestly it depends what you are into, Amish country is a little more than an hour drive south from the greenhouse if you want to relax.

I don't really know what is big tourist wise. I've always wondered what the state tries to push for tourism other than Cedar Point.
Lived in the southern end of the state near Dayton most of my childhood. It has been almost 30 years, so don't remember everything, and allot is sure to have changed.
Lake Erie in general and all related activities. Americana in Dayton was a great amusement park with some great classic wood structure rollercoasters. Heard it might have closed down after 100 years, but haven't looked into it.
More cultural stuff in that area is Carriage Hill Farm: early 19th century period reenactment type thing, but beautiful and you'll likely recognize something from a movie or two. No clue if it's still going, but the Blue Jacket outdoor historical performance was a big deal: story of the local Indian tribes' (Miami if I recall) involvement in the Revolution, and Tecumseh's related exploits. Never got to see it as a kid, and still disappointed about it. Now I want to visit Ohio next summer.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW I have a couple of Hokkaido that have sailed through the last two NC winters with no issue. They are in one gallon black nursery pots, and sat on the bench all winter.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FWIW I have a couple of Hokkaido that have sailed through the last two NC winters with no issue. They are in one gallon black nursery pots, and sat on the bench all winter.
Thanks for the reminder BNut, I need to slip pot my two little ones tomorrow.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put all 6 of mine, still in small pots, into a larger vessel packed with mulch around pots. I haven't decided on spring action yet but don't want to disturb the roots now and later. A couple may go directly into mame pots.

Top Bottom