Hollowed out azalea trunk

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello everyone. I have a new azalea im going to let grow out for a couple years. Maybe cutting back a few branches next year, but the main trunk is hollow and im pretty sure it holds water. I drilled a small hole in the back of the trunk near the bottom to let some water get out. Should it be "filled" up somehow, or is this ok. Not sure what you can see from the pics. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• DSCN2565.jpg
    DSCN2565.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN2566.jpg
    DSCN2566.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN2567.jpg
    DSCN2567.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2568.jpg
    DSCN2568.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 78

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've only been working with azaleas for a short time, but from what I've heard, once the trunk has begun to rot, you can't really stop it. Allowing the collected water to drain will help a bit, but filling the trunk will likely only accelerate the decay. It's best to focus on the overall health of the tree...healthy trees should have no issues with a hollow trunk. As far as the hollow itself, you always have the option of enhancing it and making it a part of the overall design. By the way, that is a nice trunk and base...good luck,

Dave

gottrees

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have used minwax wood hardener on my bougainvillea (which are notorious for the dead wood rotting) with great success. I have not lost any deadwood since applying it last year.
Thats a great looking base and trunk,

Ted

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
do you think minwax is safe on most species?

Top Bottom