Holly advice "new to the forum"

blakemul

Seedling
Reaction score
Im new to bonsai and was trying to create one from nursery stock. I found this Holly at lowes for ten dollars. It has a really thick trunk. Please let me know if yall think this tree has potential or any advice on how to style it.IMG_20120428_140530.jpg

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The is a good sized tree for $10! If it were mine, I'd cut it back to at least the tan line. The goal would be to develop branching in the area that I circled in red. I have three or four of these tress and they all seem to grow back very quickly.IMG_20120428_161127.jpg

PS I think the reason you are having trouble uploading the photos is that they are too big.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice looking base. It has some crossing roots but that's all fixable. I like that it's slanted and has some taper. I think if you're going to ask for styling advice it's important for you to tell people (or think about it if you haven't) what kind of style you'd like it to be. For one thing how tall do you want it?
Ian

blakemul

Seedling
Reaction score
The is a good sized tree for $10! If it were mine, I'd cut it back to at least the tan line. The goal would be to develop branching in the area that I circled in red. I have three or four of these tress and they all seem to grow back very quickly.View attachment 22887

PS I think the reason you are having trouble uploading the photos is that they are too big.

Thank you your drawing on the picture was very helpfull

blakemul

Seedling
Reaction score
can i repot it now or should i wait a few weeks after pruning? also how much of the root ball can i cut off when i repot it?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a good looking start there with the trunk. I think Bonsai Barry's advice hit the mark, at least that is where I would start. I like the roots as they look natural, but I am the only here that likes roots like that so take it for what its worth. Good luck with the holly and keep her green.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've collected 5 big yaupon holly and all survived the drastic root pruning and trunk/branch pruning. I also got 5 that were pre-dug that went through the same treatment but I lost 2. One was left bare root overnight below freezing temps and I believe that is what caused it's death (a shame since it is really nice w/ 6"+ base). Half of mine also have very bad sticky clay soils that I had to totally wash off leaving me with minimal fine roots.

Based on my experience, you can chop this really hard (both roots and branches) and should bounce back easily. Good luck!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
In my experience, Ilex are very tough. They don't seem to mind missed waterings, respond well to hard top pruning, don't skip a beat after hard root pruning. I have some with decent trunks like this. The challenge for me has been to make them look like trees instead of topiary/shrubs. I have seen some really good examples recently, though. They seem to be big trunks uncovered from a very old landscape plant then dug, chopped & developed.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, thats truly got a nice branch structure. Right now it looks as if it has been trained as a broom style already. Great find you came up with.

ed

Neurosix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Definitely some leaf miners in that original picture. They love to chew on hollies. The pruning may have eliminated them, but keep an eye on it. There are some products you can dilute into water that are supposed to kill them. Oh, and I also agree with Barry about where the top should be. Good find by the way! It's hard to find them with large single trunks like that at lowes or home depot.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't repot until next spring. It's lived in that pot for years. It will be fine for one more.

blakemul

Seedling
Reaction score
Decided to repot about 5 days after pruning it back. It was very root bound and i cut off about half the root ball. Now this tree has hundreds of leaf buds, dont know if it was the pruning or the new soil but its looking really healthy. I'll post some pictures later this week.

Top Bottom