Holy Crape!

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
This a crape myrtle i have had in my yard for a few years trying to thicken the trunk a little. I finally was pleased with the trunk and the taper so i pulled it out and potted it up. I had planted it over a tile and it has some good roots which are cover mostly at the moment. maybe next repotting it will be planted slightly higher. anyways here it is...

Attachments

• CAM01004.jpg
    CAM01004.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 121
  • CAM01005.jpg
    CAM01005.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 68
  • CAM01006.jpg
    CAM01006.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48
  • CAM01007.jpg
    CAM01007.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 42
  • CAM01008.jpg
    CAM01008.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 47

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
heres the rest

Attachments

• CAM01012.jpg
    CAM01012.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 24
  • CAM01011.jpg
    CAM01011.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 17
  • CAM01010.jpg
    CAM01010.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 25
  • CAM01009.jpg
    CAM01009.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 35

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
thanks! found it under some regular planters at a rundown closing nursery,,,,weird...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's a very nice tree and pot. For the tree's long-time looks, I suggest that you cut those branches a LOT shorter and let it grow new ones. They're too long and slender now.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
jkl,

I hope im not sounding hateful but isn't the goal to grow out branches so they thicken. if i cut them all off they would all start long and slender. I just wired them for some movement. None of these have been cut except the lowest branch. Unless you think its to thin also, then in which i will just chop it back in spring. I know the apex is to tall so it will get cut either this winter or spring. Can you please explain what you meant because i am interested in what you're trying to say.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This tree is at the stage where it needs MORE branches -- and at least the start of some ramification -- not thicker ones. But if you're happy with it . . .

I have 17-20 Crape myrtle bonsai ranging from mame size to Chuhin (medium) size. Most of those that came from nursery plants started off like yours.

Cherry Dazzle . . . Year 1 . . . year 2 (3 years ago)

Attachments

• CHERR00L.JPG
    CHERR00L.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 69
  • CHERR00M.JPG
    CHERR00M.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 81

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is at the stage where it needs MORE branches -- and at least the start of some ramification -- not thicker ones. But if you're happy with it . . .

I have 17-20 Crape myrtle bonsai ranging from mame size to Chuhin (medium) size. Most of those that came from nursery plants started off like yours.

Cherry Dazzle . . . Year 1 . . . year 2 (3 years ago)

That is a nice one! Can you post some more pics of some of your other Crepe Myrtles maybe? I am always looking for good bonsai, they are pretty hard to find for some reason.

Question- do you have branch tips lost every winter? Seems to happen to most of mine whether in the ground or in pots, and it doesn't seem to matter how healthy the tree is or how I fertilize/ prepare it for winter...

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JKL - I too am developing a bunch of these and would like to see your CM collection. Please share!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Jim is exactly correct... CM grow so fast that is much better to develop your branches and ramification through lots of pruning before ever trying to wire or shape.

Its seems counter intuitive but it works very well. Cut all those long branches to about 1" from the trunk(or where you would like the first branching to begin)...get rid of the wire. In a couple of weeks, where you are, they will have all shot out multiple new branches...let those extend to about 6 leaves and cut back to about an inch again. Repeat as often as you can through the growing season.

The original branches will thicken and develop some nice ramification simultaneously. In two seasons you will have a "bush" with lots of branches that ramify close to the trunk...and the leaves will be much smaller. At that point you can selectively prune and wire to create a really nice bonsai.

Personally I find that putting them in a bonsai pot/soil slows down their development drastically...while I am developing branches I maintain CM in nursery containers and a nursery mix. Only when I think the tree is ready for maintenance and past the development stage does it get put into a bonsai container...the exception to this are mame size trees.

I find that I have to offer CM much more winter protection than my other trees...if not I lose branches...especially with the dwarf cultivars.

I find most people are immune to experienced advice when it comes to growing trees. They ask questions but do there own thing anyhow...If you have more than one of these, try this advice on one tree, grow the others your way...then compare after about 2-3 seasons and see which tree is further along and looks better. (I am generalizing this sentiment and it is not intended to be pointed just at you...yet)

Prune, Prune, Prune...it makes a huge difference....only took me about 10 years to figure this out because I am smarter than all those old codgers:)

Good luck with your tree! I hope it turns into something fabulous.
John

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
John,

On any given growing season, when do you do your last pruning? Thanks.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
John is 100% right.

Yes, you will have some dieback over the winter, mostly in the branch tips. I usually let my trees get a bit raggedy in early fall just for that. I'm colder than John is in SC, but my CM simply stay out on my benches all winter and freeze and thaw with the winter's whims.

Someone wanted to see some of mine. Not that all of mine can be carried in one hand, so I seldom allow them to bloom, but grow them for the bark, leaves, and fall color.

Attachments

• Cherry dazzle 001.JPG
    Cherry dazzle 001.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 6-12 oldest 2.JPG
    6-12 oldest 2.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 6-12 tall mini 2.JPG
    6-12 tall mini 2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 10-12 Acoma 2.jpg
    10-12 Acoma 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 10-12 mini.JPG
    10-12 mini.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 40

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
JKL and JohnG,

I actually use this technique that you described with privet because they have a similar growth pattern as crape myrtles. Thank you for the long description but i don't think its wrong for someone to do their own thing...that's how new techniques get discovered right? Not trying to start anything with you but i think its important to try all techniques if you feel like it so you can see for yourself what works. I have had several crape myrtles and they develop very quickly...especially in Florida. I do use this technique though and im glad you brought it up because it will work well with this species as well! again thank you both for your input!

BTW John...as in John Geanangel? if so i follow you on youtube and have watched all of your videos...you have a huge crape myrtle that is going to be nice!!

Top Bottom