How did you get started?...

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Always been into plants/flowers. Just so happened that my real good friends, my whitewater kaying buddies, owned a greenhouse and sold some nice Bonsai. When they went out of business after 70 years (Walmart moved in across the street), they pretty much gave me couple young bonsai, a firethorn and a jade. That was about 4-5 years ago, and both "trees" are doing great. Firethorn just stated blooming. Twice as many blooms as last year.

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hooked when I saw Karate Kid but didn't get my first mallsai until 2 years ago from Sprawlmart. That got me hooked. A friend of mine at school/work is in to them and he gave me a good bit of his extras last year. I now have about 15 trees...

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
I happened to see "New Horizons of Bonsai" by Brian Bachelder on PBS. A series where he created bonsais planted in sphagnum moss. That was 20-30 years ago. Got started, met Norm Nelson, found a club, and it went on from there. I have two beautiful trees from the beginning, approx 25 years, that i carried around the country during many moves for work. I kept them going even when my "addiction" for bonsai faded. Now, they have a place of honor on my bench, surrounded by all the rest of the "family", and the addiction is even stronger. I do notice, however, the older i get the smaller my trees get!

Top Bottom