How do you avoid overworking on trees?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Back to OP's original question, I suppose you could just spend every waking hour screwing around on BNut. 🤷

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, more trees, but the development level of trees also matters. You could have 100 maple cuttings and still not have any work to do for most of the year. But more refined trees require a lot more work, time, and attention.

Also, larger trees are much more time consuming than smaller trees. You might be able to wire out a shohin sized juniper in an hour or two, but a 4 foot tall juniper with lots of branching is a multi-day project.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As much as I understand the reasoning, OP specifically said that space is at a premium, and more trees may not be an option.
Sticking to bonsai related activities, books are another good way to occupy yourself. Watching the videos leaves you wanting to get up and do something, but reading is more involved, so may leave you a little more satisfied.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Make a YouTube channel, you'll spend so many frustrating hours trying to edit video your trees and your yard will become overgrown. Or maybe that's just me.
:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As much as I understand the reasoning, OP specifically said that space is at a premium, and more trees may not be an option.
Every time you work one of your trees you have to do 100 sit-ups. That way you won't overwork your trees, AND you'll have abs of steel!

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Every time you work one of your trees you have to do 100 sit-ups. That way you won't overwork your trees, AND you'll have abs of steel!
That sounds like a recipe for rhabdomyolysis (not to mention a really sore tummy).

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why you using big words?
Have you NOT seen the stuff people post around here?

Bro-Do-You-Even-Lift-Funny-Weightlifting-Meme-Photo.jpg

Danonito

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you all for your kind and funny responses! I was only notified about the first two comments on the thread so I was surprised to see all the advice.

To answer some questions and clarify some things:

1. I'm working full time and still manage to have a lot of time for the garden activities, I guess thats a blessing when working from home.

2. Indeed the instinct says to buy more trees. I try to do that but usually wait until one or two projects die so I can use some space. The more success I have with projects though, the harder this gets 😂

3. People mention multiple hobbies and I have already started a successfull year with pot grown tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, flowers , etc. Not really into indoor plants but I do keep a couple indoor appropriate bonsai.

4. For space management I've thought about benches but the only reasonable space to place it isn't in optimal sun location so right now im in the process of making floating wooden shelves for the smaller bonsai, will post pics on a different thread. This definitely frees space and looks way cleaner.

5. When it comes to trees I have definitely thought of going bigger instead of many smaller. Its so easy spending 50eur at the local nursery but I've turned my attention to a couple big bonsai specific places. Still debating on what to buy next. I'm way more comfortable with deciduous trees so I guess a nice size conifer could be next!

Again thank you all for the interesting discussion, any other input is welcome 😁

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Go visit the highest level trees you can. Ask lots of questions. Take classes from professionals, ...on their trees. You'll learn timing and technique, but more importantly, you'll come to appreciate what vigor actually looks like. What health actually looks like. What is possible when your trees aren't constantly preened and pruned. Then when you get home you can apply the techniques and timing you learned. Some time after that you'll walk past your tree and out of the corner of your eye you'll notice some aspect of YOUR tree that looks like the professional's that you studied with. That will solidify the importance of waiting to do the right work at the right time.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Draining soil and water all the time!

Dryness really does way more damage!

Now of course this is different for quality and older trees with the different medias

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't read any posts....cuz I'm drunk and tired...

But practicing PPB, or, keeping potential problems at bay, essentially, waiting until design is growth ruined before making moves is the best way to find patience.

That and thought work. A lotta thought work.
Drawings.

Accept it takes 100 years, and you'll find good design in 20.

Force it and you may as well try to force things....
No no...too graphic. But it has to do with "plugs", not the dope kind, the butt kind.

Sorce

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Draining soil and water all the time!

Dryness really does way more damage!

Now of course this is different for quality and older trees with the different medias
Thanks cmeg - is there a thread on different media for older trees?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thoughts? Advice on how to not overwork trees ? Am I just impatient? I've only killed one tree so far but I don't want more to meet the same fate 😊
I don't think there is a way to prevent favorites!

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sticking to bonsai related activities, books are another good way to occupy yourself. Watching the videos leaves you wanting to get up and do something, but reading is more involved, so may leave you a little more satisfied.

Your “new” hobbies can all be bonsai related - photographing your trees, keeping journals and write ups/notes of each tree’s progress (as well as separate threads here on the forum), wood carving (I have a stump that I am learning to make believable dead wood on with a dremel), pot making, whether it be ceramics or concrete - lot’s of recipes and techniques out there, wiring practice on cut branches from yard trees, sketching tree ideas by hand or with a drawing app, practicing kusamono, rock hunting for accents … so many bonsai tangents. Honestly, I can barely find time to work on my actual trees!

Top Bottom