How do you ID a pot with no mark?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone,

A few weeks back, I got this big Ficus that was in an old brown pot. The pot, however, has no marks or signs of who made it anywhere. A little backstory: The tree was owned by the previous owner for over 20 years. The tree was grown originally in Korea before being imported over here. That being said, is there any way to ID a pot that has no signs of a maker on it?

20150712_112236.jpg
20150712_112230.jpg
20150712_112215.jpg
20150712_112253.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FBI.

Nice toes!

It's Probly a common Korean pot?

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It probably is some kind of Korean pot, but I'm trying to get a worth of it so I can sell it, as I no longer need it :D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Doubt you'll ID it for sure. My guess is it's a Tong Rae; check your old Bonsai Today magazines for ads. Korean ceramics, usually glazed, production quality, heavy, high-fired, inexpensive, and no longer in production. I had one that was nearly identical to yours in size and shape, down to the band in glazed blue. I paid around $60 for it in the mid '90s. If it drains well and sits flat, yours may be worth $75 because of the size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey that greenish copper oxide color looks familiar. I have a pot like that. I wonder if it is also a Korean pot.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ugh, the old Asian man assured me the pot was worth nearly $400.

(Actual old Asian man, not street vendor "buy my mallsai" Asian man)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, they were pretty common for a while. Not bad either, for the price.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm going to have to ask him why he thought the pot was worth so much. I just don't get that much for this pot.
That's probably more the question for you! What made you believe him? Without any hallmarks, chops, a trusted seller etc., it's a gamble...especially if you haven't spent the time studying pots. Hopefully it wasn't what you paid; or wasn't factored into the price of the tree that was in it.

For an unmarked pot to be worth $400, it needs to have a high-quality clay body and some patina. This one appears to have a chip or flaw on the front or back panel, close to the bottom. It appears to be mold-cast, not exceptional clay, though probably high-fired.

Here is what you should expect for an unmarked pot in that price range. It is smaller, but you should expect high-quality clay, excellent patina (half of what you're paying for), here; the proportions of an antique Chinese container (width is twice the depth; drain holes out at the edges, sits flat), and from a trusted pots seller. Big difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 37

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd vote 95 percent that it's tongrae. I have one I got a very long time ago. No chops or seals, but had a sticker on it that said "Tongrae" Nice container. heavy and useable. The high price the guy quoted you may be because some of the larger, handmade off-production line, pots do have high asking prices:
http://www.handmade-bonsaipots.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_134

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, looking at that site, I am kind of blown away by some of the prices. There's an 18 inch round Albright on there that is marked £495.00, or $772...I have a 15-year old Albright drum pot 20 inches in diameter...jeez, I guess I'll have to be more careful with it.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
BTW, looking at that site, I am kind of blown away by some of the prices. There's an 18 inch round Albright on there that is marked £495.00, or $772...I have a 15-year old Albright drum pot 20 inches in diameter...jeez, I guess I'll have to be more careful with it.
I've seen that site too. It's products seem to have pricing inertia. It's pretty clear by comparison that the clay body of the handmade Tongrae is different that what Ryan has. I still wouldn't throw down $800 for one.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
..... I'm trying to get a worth of it so I can sell it, as I no longer need it :D
Is it really necessary to think in monetary terms? Is it heavy? … then it's hardy. Ask the price for an average winter-hardy pot and be satisfied. BTW: If I told you my painting was made by Picasso, would you believe me if his signature isn't on it? So, if the pot-maker's signature isn't on the pot why would you even think it is worth more than the average winter-hardy pot made by Psy's second cousin in his basement kiln? The problem here is that the guy you bought the bonsai from spooked you. Maybe he was only trying to tell you that the price you paid was less than the pot itself just so you would buy it …. or maybe he really thought it was a good pot (it probably is) but misjudged its' worth in ”dalla”. The only real point to make is that if Picasso's signature isn't on it .... no one is going to pay Picasso prices.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it really necessary to think in monetary terms? Is it heavy? … then it's hardy. Ask the price for an average winter-hardy pot and be satisfied. BTW: If I told you my painting was made by Picasso, would you believe me if his signature isn't on it? So, if the pot-maker's signature isn't on the pot why would you even think it is worth more than the average winter-hardy pot made by Psy's second cousin in his basement kiln? The problem here is that the guy you bought the bonsai from spooked you. Maybe he was only trying to tell you that the price you paid was less than the pot itself just so you would buy it …. or maybe he really thought it was a good pot (it probably is) but misjudged its' worth in ”dalla”. The only real point to make is that if Picasso's signature isn't on it .... no one is going to pay Picasso prices.
Original post:
"It probably is some kind of Korean pot, but I'm trying to get a worth of it so I can sell it, as I no longer need it" So yeah, it kinda is necessary to think in monetary terms.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

I mean I didn't need the pot and wanted it to go to a better home for someone who can use it, so yeah getting a ballpark price range for it would be helpful. However, since you're almost two months late to this party, the pot is no longer with me.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Original post:
"It probably is some kind of Korean pot, but I'm trying to get a worth of it so I can sell it, as I no longer need it" So yeah, it kinda is necessary to think in monetary terms.
Sorry, my comment over-stated it. I was thinking one thing but didn't convey it well. All I mean is that it's probably a good, modern, winter-hard pot but it's no Goguryeo dynasty antique worth a wheelbarrow of $10,000 bills.

BTW: I like it! Too bad we can't do some horse-trading ....

Top Bottom