How large should next sections of a trunk be?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Looking for a general rule of thumb on how big the next section of a trunk should be after a chop, before it gets chopped again.

For instance the next trunk section should be about x% of the previous trunk section before chopping.

Thanks in advance

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive never used any fancy formulas, but ive seen a lot of progressions of what others did and when they did it. and there's loads of resources on trunk chopping, I think evergreen gardenworks have one. I just use my instincts, but if I get it wrong and cut too soon, no problem I can just grow that section for longer to let it thicken some more. a good rule of thumb could be, does it look convincing, if not maybe grow that section out a bit more.
Any pictures?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would think it depends on how tall your tree is intended to be.
My thoughts exactly. So much depends on the style of tree, height, initial trunk thickness, species and your tastes. There cannot be any formula for this sort of thing.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Arts have no formula or everything will be cookie cutter. We are also dealing with living thing so that make it even harder to apply a formula to. It depends...

Top Bottom