How long can a pile of olive stumps live

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Since you have all of those trunks, I would consider trying the upside-down method. With a chainsaw, cut the stump until it is short and flat... then flip it upside down, cut off ALL the roots back to the stump, and plant it up that way. Chunky tree... no cut scars.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if you can do this on privets, it can definitely be done with olive, since theyre in the same family. Potter planted this privet stump in bark and it rooted

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
if you can do this on privets, it can definitely be done with olive, since theyre in the same family. Potter planted this privet stump in bark and it rooted
That’s exciting he said you can take large cuttings of trident maples and field maples with that method. That privet turned out pretty sweet too!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks…What product name would pumice be? I went to a hydroponics store hoping they would have it, but nothing. A nursery has pumice but they want $8 for a small bag.
Horticultural grade pumice. Look up Glass Mountain Pumice in Sacramento if you are on that side of the mountains or ask the closest bonsai society.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Where do you buy your pumice?
Peter Tea sells it but he's out at the moment. So is Maruyama. I think Lotus bonsai has some. I have also used Dry Stall, pure pumice sold in feed stores for use in horse stalls but its a little smaller granule than I like. Also most years I take a collecting trip to Bishop and Mammoth Lakes. The soil at mammoth is pure pumice so I always bring back as much free pumice as I can fir it the truck. This is my favorite.

Top Bottom