How long can I bring a spruce indoors?

iconvoid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Home Depot has dwarf Alberta Spruce for sale in one-, two-, and three-gallon pots as "living Christmas trees." I was thinking I might grab one to make into pre-bonsai (I know, not an ideal species, but they're cheap). If I decided to throw some tinsel on it and keep it indoors for the holidays, how long before the warm temps starts to make it come out of dormancy?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alas, coming out of dormancy will not be the problem if you bring a spruce indoors for the holidays. The species will not survive the dry heat. Consider the duration of your average bonsai show (3 days) as the limit for keeping any temperate zone tree indoors. It's a good rule of thumb.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
An old client did that with a blue spruce, they had it inside at least two weeks, three tops. The tree is now happily planted outside in their front yard.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye, the ones inside at Walmart are already dropping needles after a week or two.

But they are unwatered.

I kept one inside for a week I think OK.

Good ones stay out.

Them 3-4ft cut $25 are the replacement!

Sorce

iconvoid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Is it indoors now at HD? If so...it could be a big problem to shove it out into Chicago come January.

They're outdoors at HD right now. Probably wouldn't even consider it if they were being kept inside!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My mom loves buying those. The maximum we've kept them alive indoors is around 2 months. I still have those, after 8 years. Crappy cultivar for bonsai, but still fun to play with.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is not one answer here because conditions inside are variable. In my basement growroom I might get along for a couple months if I am very lucky but in my living area, heated by a wood stove, they would suffer dramatically after a few days. Especially the dwarf Alberta which I expect would be covered with mites within hours or days.

Top Bottom