Too long branches - way for back budding?

TGBentsze

Sapling
Reaction score
So, I bought this juniper last year, around october for really cheap. It's a nice one for a beginner, but the branches are sooo long, is there a way I can fix it? I tought about twisting them around, maybe coiling them up, but that's just too risky for me. How can I promote back budding? Should I cut them back?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_215203_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_215203_Messenger.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20240108_215333.jpg
    20240108_215333.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 97

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Healthy junipers can bud on older wood and often at branch joins. Lots of fert and lots of light will help promote buds. Pruning hard can also promote back buds. Make sure you prune the higher branches more than lower ones to allow for apical dominance.

Not sure if it is a good time of year to try any of the above as you haven't given a location so can't tell if it is winter or summer at your location. Adding a general location to your personal profile saves having to type it every time you post and gives others valuable clues as to what might work in your area and when.

TGBentsze

Sapling
Reaction score
Healthy junipers can bud on older wood and often at branch joins. Lots of fert and lots of light will help promote buds. Pruning hard can also promote back buds. Make sure you prune the higher branches more than lower ones to allow for apical dominance.

Not sure if it is a good time of year to try any of the above as you haven't given a location so can't tell if it is winter or summer at your location. Adding a general location to your personal profile saves having to type it every time you post and gives others valuable clues as to what might work in your area and when.
I am from middle europe, we are heading into a colder winter (around -9/-12°C at night,). But if needed, i can shelter my trees from the cold.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The best time is just prior to or during the growing season generally. The tree shows some signs of Juvenile foliage therefore is not the strongest health at this point. I would wait till spring, repot and put iit in better substrate. Then improve the overall health before attempting to cut it back and encourage back budding. You will know when the tree is healthy enough. It will start to send out long shoots of new growth.

TGBentsze

Sapling
Reaction score
The best time is just prior to or during the growing season generally. The tree shows some signs of Juvenile foliage therefore is not the strongest health at this point. I would wait till spring, repot and put iit in better substrate. Then improve the overall health before attempting to cut it back and encourage back budding. You will know when the tree is healthy enough. It will start to send out long shoots of new growth.
Thank you, after everything,when I cut back, should I leave some green foliage at the end of the branches for sap/etc circulation?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you, after everything,when I cut back, should I leave some green foliage at the end of the branches for sap/etc circulation?

Absolutely. If you remove the foliage at the end of the branches, you'll kill the branch.

For best results, follow @River's Edge's advice: take steps to get the tree strong before cutting back.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cutting back on junipers refers to removing a portion of the outer foliage ( apical tips ) and leaving healthy foliage to ensure the health of the branch! Before you begin this process, learn how to identify weak foliage and healthy foliage. Also how to differentiate between mature foliage and juvenile foliage on junipers. This is important knowledge to have before pruning. Simple internet search on pruning techniques for junipers will help to clarify things.

TGBentsze

Sapling
Reaction score
Cutting back on junipers refers to removing a portion of the outer foliage ( apical tips ) and leaving healthy foliage to ensure the health of the branch! Before you begin this process, learn how to identify weak foliage and healthy foliage. Also how to differentiate between mature foliage and juvenile foliage on junipers. This is important knowledge to have before pruning. Simple internet search on pruning techniques for junipers will help to clarify things.
Thank you !

horibonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the tree, I don't think you need the back budding. This is a good time to clean up the foliage. You'll be surprised how good the foliage can look after the cleanup. It's a young tree, and a little wiring tightened the look. If you want to induce back bud, fertilize in the spring and summer, and the backbud will pop.

Top Bottom