How should I take care of my Chienese elm

balgrofen

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently got a chienese elm tree for my birthday (Jan 22nd). ( I live in central europe). I watered it as my friend who gave it to me suggested. He said this tree is decidious and I shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't grow that much. As you can see it grew a little bit 😄😄 I think it enjoys the climate in our apartment . My question is should I prune my tree or I should let it grow? What should I do with the long branches

Attachments

• 20240208_124011.jpg
    20240208_124011.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240208_124017.jpg
    20240208_124017.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240208_124019.jpg
    20240208_124019.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 29

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How much light does it get? It appears that it doesn't get enough sunlight and tries to grow leggy shoots trying to get to sunlight. Give it more sunlight and let it grow freely for a while. It has invested a lot of energy to grow those branches. You can prune the branches back after a few months.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Where (in general) in Central Europe? Do you know the USDA Zone? (the climate where you live?)

Do you plan on keeping your Chinese elm outside in the summer? Or will you always keep it inside in your apartment?

balgrofen

Seedling
Reaction score

Cajunrider: I will do as you suggested and for your question, it's on the living room shelf, our apartment windws facing south therefore there is always sunlight in the room when it's not cloudy.

Bonsai Nut: East Hungary, according to the usda zone mine is a7. Sadly because we don't have a balcony or a garden I can only have it inside.​

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Cajunrider: I will do as you suggested and for your question, it's on the living room shelf, our apartment windws facing south therefore there is always sunlight in the room when it's not cloudy.​

Bonsai Nut: East Hungary, according to the usda zone mine is a7. Sadly because we don't have a balcony or a garden I can only have it inside.​

With a window facing south, it should be OK in spring, summer, and early part of Autumn for Central Europe. You may want to invest in a small grow light if it needs help.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cajunrider: I will do as you suggested and for your question, it's on the living room shelf, our apartment windws facing south therefore there is always sunlight in the room when it's not cloudy.​

It will be OK for a while. On a shelf in the interior of an apartment, even with a lot of sunlight, the tree won't get enough. The interior of an apartment is from 10-500 times darker than actual sunlight. Interior humidity levels are equivalent to a desert. Air circulation is minimal if it exists. Chinese elms are tough trees and can limp along inside for some time, but they're never really as vigorous as they should be.

If you want an "indoor" bonsai, tropical species are more tolerant of the harsh conditions inside than more temperate zone trees. Ficus, schefflera are the go-to trees for indoor success.

balgrofen

Seedling
Reaction score
With a window facing south, it should be OK in spring, summer, and early part of Autumn for Central Europe. You may want to invest in a small grow light if it needs help.
Thank you I will get a grow lamp for winter then and I will have it in the window if it's not too sunny from now on. Also I have 2 more questions 1. I don't want to wire it, but does it neccessary or it's okay if I leave it a little bushy like this?
2. I use a little spray bottle with filtered water to water it (like in the image). I water when I feel the soil is dry and I spray the whole soil then wait a half an hour then spray again (usually it lasts for 2 days). And I gave it nutrient solution 2 weeks ago with submerging it . Is it okay to continue like this give nutrient every month?

1707400727539.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cajunrider: I will do as you suggested and for your question, it's on the living room shelf, our apartment windws facing south therefore there is always sunlight in the room when it's not cloudy.
Bonsai Nut: East Hungary, according to the usda zone mine is a7. Sadly because we don't have a balcony or a garden I can only have it inside.
Great! Chinese elm is one of the few species of trees that can be treated as either a deciduous tree (if you keep it outside) or a tropical tree (if you keep it indoors all year).

Since you are keeping it indoors, we will provide you with care instructions as a tropical tree. First, as everyone is pointing out, getting enough light will be your primary challenge. With enough light, the tree's foliage will be lush, compact, and dark green. If the tree does not get enough light, the foliage will be thin, leggy, and light green. Your tree is showing signs that it is not getting enough light. Try to put it in the brightest possible window, or else buy a plant light to supplement whatever lighting it is getting.

When you water your tree, consider putting it in a sink with a spray attachment - or even occasionally putting it in a shower - so that the tree gets rinsed completely and the leaves get wet.

Because your tree is going to be a tropical, it will grow all year, so we want to prune it all year - any time the tree's growth starts to extend beyond the outline of the shape of the tree you want to maintain. Right now, there are many branches that are growing too long, so you will want to trim those back to the first two leaves (if the branch is strong) or perhaps three or four leaves if the branch is weaker. With Chinese elms, the new growth will always push in the direction of the last bud on the branch (when you prune). So if you want your branch to go left, leave the last leaf on the left. If you want it to grow right, leave the last leaf on the right. Finally, eliminate all growth that points straight up or straight down.

This should be enough to get you started!

balgrofen

Seedling
Reaction score
Great! Chinese elm is one of the few species of trees that can be treated as either a deciduous tree (if you keep it outside) or a tropical tree (if you keep it indoors all year).

Since you are keeping it indoors, we will provide you with care instructions as a tropical tree. First, as everyone is pointing out, getting enough light will be your primary challenge. With enough light, the tree's foliage will be lush, compact, and dark green. If the tree does not get enough light, the foliage will be thin, leggy, and light green. Your tree is showing signs that it is not getting enough light. Try to put it in the brightest possible window, or else buy a plant light to supplement whatever lighting it is getting.

When you water your tree, consider putting it in a sink with a spray attachment - or even occasionally putting it in a shower - so that the tree gets rinsed completely and the leaves get wet.

Because your tree is going to be a tropical, it will grow all year, so we want to prune it all year - any time the tree's growth starts to extend beyond the outline of the shape of the tree you want to maintain. Right now, there are many branches that are growing too long, so you will want to trim those back to the first two leaves (if the branch is strong) or perhaps three or four leaves if the branch is weaker. With Chinese elms, the new growth will always push in the direction of the last bud on the branch (when you prune). So if you want your branch to go left, leave the last leaf on the left. If you want it to grow right, leave the last leaf on the right. Finally, eliminate all growth that points straight up or straight down.

This should be enough to get you started!
OMG thank you! I will keep these in mind when I will care about it.

balgrofen

Seedling
Reaction score
It will be OK for a while. On a shelf in the interior of an apartment, even with a lot of sunlight, the tree won't get enough. The interior of an apartment is from 10-500 times darker than actual sunlight. Interior humidity levels are equivalent to a desert. Air circulation is minimal if it exists. Chinese elms are tough trees and can limp along inside for some time, but they're never really as vigorous as they should be.

If you want an "indoor" bonsai, tropical species are more tolerant of the harsh conditions inside than more temperate zone trees. Ficus, schefflera are the go-to trees for indoor success.
Thank you! I put it in the window now and I will get a grow lamp! Our orchid like the climate of our apartment too, makes sense now :D

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

I will sadly report to you that Elm trees and most every tree that is not tropical, will not thrive in an indoor environment. It may survive for a while but will eventually miss humidity, rain, cold, hot etc and then die. I do not wish this for you or your tree but reality is what it is

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Szia. Hogy vagy?

Maybe something like the attached could work for a windowsill?

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom