How tall should I keep this collected Chinese elm?

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree has just been collected. Air layering it is pushing it to develop two sets of roots--one at the expense of the other, while also asking it to produce leaves at the same time. Chop only asks half, of that effort. Simple is better...

Just to be clear so @Mikecheck123 does not confuse my limited experience advice:

I was speaking in the perfect, long term, do it in stages, sense of what to do (as I see it, without time limitations).

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just to be clear so @Mikecheck123 does not confuse my limited experience advice:

I was speaking in the perfect, long term, do it in stages, sense of what to do (as I see it, without time limitations).
Cool, thanks. Given my (in)experience, I think I'm going to err on the safe side and just chop it now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Time frame for recovery of the main root system would be at least a year. Two if you want solid strong response from the tree. Another season to air layer...Three years for a mediocre air layer.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
*screams quietly* you sir, have more bravery than I.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just a comment....just something I do. I always cut one side shorter than the other. The uneven growth is more appealing to me rather than a perfect V. But in the end, cut like the V you have, you’ll likely have uneven growth anyway and can then bite away some of the excess V. Carefully, I eliminate multiple branch buds growing from one spot....the multiples seem to just create a large obstacle growth...a big knob....that never smooths out.

Nice chop. Your decision is Mighty fine!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a comment....just something I do. I always cut one side shorter than the other. The uneven growth is more appealing to me rather than a perfect V. But in the end, cut like the V you have, you’ll likely have uneven growth anyway and can then bite away some of the excess V. Carefully, I eliminate multiple branch buds growing from one spot....the multiples seem to just create a large obstacle growth...a big knob....that never smooths out.

Nice chop. Your decision is Mighty fine!
Thank you for the help and kind words. I always marvel at the resilience and pliability of Chinese elms, but I've never had one this big! Keeping fingers crossed for greatness. 😁

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't it a bit too early for trunk chop? Even though you live in zone 10a i would rather wait till spring. I hope the tree will survive your "surgery" :). Are you gonna keep it outside or inside (green house)?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't it a bit too early for trunk chop? Even though you live in zone 10a i would rather wait till spring. I hope the tree will survive your "surgery" :). Are you gonna keep it outside or inside (green house)?
Probably. But you gotta make do when Craigslist shopping.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would saw that club off low.
Probably as low as 3 to 4 inches inches from the soil line.
Should have been done at time of collection.
With elms cut to height before digging.
No need to worry about existing branches.
They sprout out of the cut.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
At times I get to thinking that one or two trees should actually be left in the ground where they grew up.
A yamagonawokawai if you will. ;)

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice job making the difficult decision to chop this way down. The tree will be better for it in the long run. Much better than wasting years trying to make a convincing tree out of it only to chop it down then. No guys, no glory!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Uh guys I think it worked. New shoots are almost 30 inches long in less than three months. You can barely even find the V cut.

Is there something I should do now (like branch selection)? Or do I just let it recover this season?

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_094755.jpg
    IMG_20200503_094755.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200503_094829.jpg
    IMG_20200503_094829.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom