how to accelerate the aging in the bark

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kimura found that pines tend to develop rough bark faster on the north side than the other sides of the trunk. He attributed it to being in the shade.

So, he had a tree he wanted to have rougher bark, so he positioned it do that the lower trunk remained in the shade, but the foliage could be in the sun. He left it there several years. Maybe as many as 5. But he claimed the bark was rougher after 5 years of shade, at which time, he styled the tree.

This is interesting. Madrone are common where I live. They retain bark on the shady sides of trunks and loose it on the sunny side.

Kinda suggest that one might wrap trunks with, say, black polyethylene to enhance the bark. Polyethylene will transmit necessary oxygen as well as block sunlight. Solar heating could be a problem if the plastic was in direct sun - we really don't want the trunk temperatures being much higher than about 95F.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The light grey color you see on Japanese maple bonsai is lime sulfur and not the natural bark.

Uh uh. The color is natural.

Colin Lewis in his "The Art of Bonsai Design" describes a method to "hasten" the aged look on trunks. I never tried it.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is interesting. Madrone are common where I live. They retain bark on the shady sides of trunks and loose it on the sunny side.

Kinda suggest that one might wrap trunks with, say, black polyethylene to enhance the bark. Polyethylene will transmit necessary oxygen as well as block sunlight. Solar heating could be a problem if the plastic was in direct sun - we really don't want the trunk temperatures being much higher than about 95F.

I have heard that just wrapping with raffia will achieve this on some trees...

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering how to accelerate the grey/brownish color for the trunk of a japanese maple...

Is there a way? like brushing it or applying something as lime sulfur is used for deadwood?

For maples there is nothing like painting something on the bark to accelerate the changing of the color. Really it just takes time to get the best results. One way that certain growers in Japan achieve good results is by selecting specific trees that have good bark in general, then growing new trees by taking cuttings and air layers. One seedling maple might take 15 years to get nice white/gray bark, while another might take 20. If I were growing maples I would try and select either seeds, cutting or air layers from trees with good bark.

Here's an example of a great grower in Japan that does this:

http://bonsaitonight.com/2009/03/19/ooishi/

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it have 4 children?

Works for me!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So there really isn't a consensus on this... it might be worth a try on a tree at least.

Top Bottom