How to prune jacaranda?

Bonbal

Seedling
Reaction score
New to bonsai. Grew this jacaranda mimosofolia from seed. It's over 2 years now and growing fine but I'm not sure how to give it that bonsai look and how to prune it correctly. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,
Alan

Attachments

Clicio

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The only advice I can give you is...
Let it grow and thicken and hope for some new growth low down on its trunk.
It is really easy to make jacarandá seeds sprout, but very difficult to turn them into nice bonsai.
They are native here.

BrianBay9

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My experience is that they back bud very well. I would suggest wire the trunk to put some movement in it at the bottom if you can now. It might be too thick for that already. Then let it grow until you have the trunk diameter you desire. Then cut it back to about 1/3 of its final height. Chances are it will sprout two buds on opposite sides of the trunk near the cut. Let them grow until they reach the desired thickness, then repeat on each, resulting in four buds growing out. Then repeat. Then repeat. After each hard pruning you'll have the option of wiring the new growth and putting more movement in those branches before they get too stiff.

Bonbal

Seedling
Reaction score
My experience is that they back bud very well. I would suggest wire the trunk to put some movement in it at the bottom if you can now. It might be too thick for that already. Then let it grow until you have the trunk diameter you desire. Then cut it back to about 1/3 of its final height. Chances are it will sprout two buds on opposite sides of the trunk near the cut. Let them grow until they reach the desired thickness, then repeat on each, resulting in four buds growing out. Then repeat. Then repeat. After each hard pruning you'll have the option of wiring the new growth and putting more movement in those branches before they get too stiff.
So just a completely horizontal clean cut 1/3 of the desired height? And it will recover from that and bud new stems?

Clicio

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
So just a completely horizontal clean cut 1/3 of the desired height? And it will recover from that and bud new stems?
If you do it, please keep us posted.I am very interested on the results.

BrianBay9

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have one jacaranda and I have been treating it this way. It always back buds for me. I assume they all behave similarly. I don't mean to sound legalistic here, it's just that I would be more definitive if I had hard pruned a hundred jacaranda and watched them all respond.

I would flat cut it and worry about dressing up the chop later, if necessary.

Last edited: