How to thicken orange jessamine's trunk?

Mikoy

Seed
Reaction score
Good day everyone, I am new on growing bonsai. My orange jessamine's trunk is so thin, do i have to transfer it in a larger pot for it to thicken? I think its trunk is just half an inch. TIA

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

Successively slightly larger pots work well, just like the nursery industry.

The ground can work.

But those both make for roots that are hard to deal with and/or transfer, so I'd stick it in a proper air root pruning basket.

Sorce

Mikoy

Seed
Reaction score
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

The ground can work.

But those both make for roots that are hard to deal with and/or transfer, so I'd stick it in a proper air root pruning basket.

Sorce
I transferred it in a large pot, hopefully the trunk will thicken soon. Big thanks!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

The ground can work.

Sorce

Repurposing a colander vs the purpose built Rootmaker or Air Pot pots .. Am i missing out on much by just grabbing a colander from the thrift store?

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repurposing a colander vs the purpose built Rootmaker or Air Pot pots .. Am i missing out on much by just grabbing a colander from the thrift store?
Nope alot of people do that. Or even better take a trip to your local aquatics shop and buy some pond planter baskets. They come in loads of sizes and are pretty cheap.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am i missing out on much by just grabbing a colander from the thrift store?

I'm a huge yes on that. There are a couple that are ok but the majority of them are useless. Most have no need for UV protection either, which renders them junk within a season.

These are the cheapest!

Other things will give you "some" airpruning, but which "some"? To me, it's like having a 5 year old go cut "some" branches off a tree. Just "some", any.

Just like everything else in bonsai, soil, wire, pot, fert, location, etc etc....

We should seek to use what gives us the most accurate control.

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have not used the colander method for trunk thickening purposes, but have had great success in the recent past with both a crabapple and an apricot in rapid development of strong root mass. I acquired both in early spring, and put both into a mix that was 80% akadama and 20% pumice, and used spaghetti-strainer sized colanders from the dollar store. By September I had nice big root mats. I then gently slip-potted them into grow pots, not working the roots at all, just plopping them in with a layer of akadama underneath and about a finger’s width of new soil all around. This was summer before last. Last summer I had excellent vegetative growth including sacrifice branches, and both trees are thriving this year. This method requires much more frequent watering, but the aeration does something magical for root development.. I’m not at all certain that either tree would have survived going direct to grow pots, given the feeble roots they started with.

Top Bottom