How to transition from inside to outside

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all,

I got a bunch of seedlings that I want to bring outside now when the temperature and sun is here once again. I got lemon, oak, pomegranate, pine, pepper and much more. They have all been standing in a window facing south getting a lot of sun.

The question is, can I just take them out into the sun now when the temperature start getting above 10-15 degrees (c) or should I avoid full sun from start? Is there a difference from full sun at the window and full sun outside? Perhaps silly questions but started to wonder.

Edit, I´m thinking direct sunlight vs direct sunligt. The difference is temperature and wind?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
UV rays are filtered out by glass, not by plastic. Only IR (infrared) rays pass thru glass. So, yes the plants will get a sudden blast of full intensity UV outdoors so as Sorce sez, in 4 steps about 3 days per step and the plants won't miss a beat.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Full Shade Full Wind Protection.
Then partial.
More partial.
And out.

There's rarely a benefit to starting indoors.

Less your planting tomato trees!

Sorce

Yeah, I think next year I'll only be planting outdoors.

Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's rarely a benefit to starting indoors.
But there is a benefit. Particularly with a good lighting setup. What else are you going to do with your time in late winter?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But there is a benefit. Particularly with a good lighting setup. What else are you going to do with your time in late winter?

That is the rare instance yes?

When you are able to produce something worth more than the headache of doing it incorrectly.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is the rare instance yes?

When you are able to produce something worth more than the headache of doing it incorrectly.
No, actually it is very enjoyable for me. Certainly it is not the best way for a 70 year old man to make a bonsai, but I am enjoying myself. Rainy or blustery days are great around here.
I have Princess Persimmon, Manchurian Apicote and Tibetan Cherry that are stratified and ready to plant this week. Start them under lights with no worry about squirrels and other pests, and move them outside in about a month.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was discussing a similar topic with my wife where we compared two of my oak seedlings. A is the smallest one, planted outside. B is the biggest one planted inside AND also the youngest one. Now it´s nice seeing how big B is but I guess the smaller one is more suited for the life outside though and in the long run A will probably me the one with the highest survival%..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in the long run A will probably me the one with the highest survival%..
Only time will tell. I know I am not crazy about starting conifers inside and I am sure there are many others that will do better if just left outside. It is really a try and see thing for differing plants and grow systems.
A little story on another conifer, the Ginkgo. Last year I collected a couple hundred seeds which I split with a friend of mine. We both soaked our seeds 48 hours. With both put them in flats using the same grow mix. Mine were left outside the entire time. My friend had is in a minimally heated greenhouse where they stayed no lower than 40 degrees on the coldest of nights. Of my approx 100 seeds I ended up with 18 plants and after gowning a season my plants are 4 to 8 inches tall. My friends has over 40 plants that are now about 8 to 14 inches tall. This year we have both planted more of them. None of mine have germinated yet. My friend has over 40 up and growing. That is why I insist you need to see what works best for you by trial and error. Besides, its fun.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was discussing a similar topic with my wife where we compared two of my oak seedlings. A is the smallest one, planted outside. B is the biggest one planted inside AND also the youngest one. Now it´s nice seeing how big B is but I guess the smaller one is more suited for the life outside though and in the long run A will probably me the one with the highest survival%..
Which one has the longest internodes?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Glass of a window cuts out a minimum of 30% of the light that hits the glass. Gas filled double or triple pane glass can cut out as much as 70% of the incident light. So direct sun indoors is equal to full shade outdoors.

So step your indoors plants as they acclimate to outside.

5 days to a week in shade
5 days to a week with an hour or two direct sun, dappled sun through a tree or lathe is great.
then you should be hardened off enough to go to direct sun.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe a good light set up, or combination window plus added lights, you can get very good growth for either early starts for spring, or for wintering sub-tropical trees. This is a good way to go, especially in extreme northern climates like Sweden where you have fairly short summers.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The one planted inside, it looks like a long and skinny teenager while the other one is more compact with shorter internodes.
I'd probably prefer the outdoor one then.

I do transitions to outdoors over the course of weeks, as opposed to the three days mentioned here. The slower the better, if you ask me.

I did a bunch of junipers and pines indoors last year. I was thinking I got a head start, but all things considered the gain in time was lost during the transition period.
Oh well, lesson learned.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd probably prefer the outdoor one then.

I do transitions to outdoors over the course of weeks, as opposed to the three days mentioned here. The slower the better, if you ask me.

I did a bunch of junipers and pines indoors last year. I was thinking I got a head start, but all things considered the gain in time was lost during the transition period.
Oh well, lesson learned.

That´s the thing bothering me now, I see all the time I need to put down to transition them safely.

I believe a good light set up, or combination window plus added lights, you can get very good growth for either early starts for spring, or for wintering sub-tropical trees. This is a good way to go, especially in extreme northern climates like Sweden where you have fairly short summers.

It is true that summer in Sweden is short and sometimes almost nonexistent. That was one of the reasons I sowed everything inside. But as stated above, now I only see all the time and process needed to transition them "correctly". I kinda need to wake up, grab my coffee, dress the kids and then head to work. I aint got time for anything else =) Lesson learned I guess.

Top Bottom