Huangshan pine in training.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...The Huangshan pine shape is similar to the Monterey cypress shape to which I love!
I am working on a Cupressocyparis leylandii or else Leyland Cypress. It's a nursery tree designed for landscape use which I am trying to transform into bonsai o_O
My search on the internet gave me back that this is a hybrid between the Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) and the Nootka Cypress (Cupressus nootkatensis)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your pictures of the seedlings got me excited to get mine going, mine are still in the fridge with most likely another month and a half before I start them. So for the time being I’ll watch yours grow.:) Thanks for sharing the progress.
You are welcome. Please also post your progress.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am working on a Cupressocyparis leylandii or else Leyland Cypress. It's a nursery tree designed for landscape use which I am trying to transform into bonsai o_O
My search on the internet gave me back that this is a hybrid between the Monterey Cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) and the Nootka Cypress (Cupressus nootkatensis)
How interesting it is! Please let us know your project. Thanks.
Thụ Thoại

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.
I’m tempted to try these.
I gave up my pines when I moved south Years ago.
Do you think these are worth a shot in hot and humid South Florida?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice.
I think you should be the self proclaimed ambassador of Huangshan Pines of Florida. Do it!!! Let’s see how they do down there. I am the ambassador for Utah.o_O:p

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you should be the self proclaimed ambassador of Huangshan Pines of Florida. Do it!!! Let’s see how they do down there. I am the ambassador for Utah.o_O:p
Tell you what if you’re hesitant to self proclaim, I will honorably nominate you. Done!!! Tell them Moke nominated you. Now get growing some!!! :D

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tell you what if you’re hesitant to self proclaim, I will honorably nominate you. Done!!! Tell them Moke nominated you. Now get growing some!!! :D
Okay. You talked me into it. It’s worth a shot. The pines we have here have needles about 110 feet long lol, if these can take the humidity and lack of cooling in the winter I will be very happy.
I may even order some Darjeeling weeping cypress seeds as well. I have Never seen those before other than in the treeseeds.com website.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay. You talked me into it. It’s worth a shot. The pines we have here have needles about 110 feet long lol, if these can take the humidity and lack of cooling in the winter I will be very happy.
I may even order some Darjeeling weeping cypress seeds as well. I have Never seen those before other than in the treeseeds.com website.
There is a thread for Huangshan pines from seed. Interested to see your results. I will be starting mine soon. Darjeeling are cool looking, I’ve bought a lot of seeds from tree seeds.com and never saw them before. They wouldn’t last long in Utah unfortunately.
Sorry @bonhe didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry @bonhe didn’t mean to hijack your thread.
No problem at all.

Nice.
I believe it should be completely fine . My friends have been growing a lot JBP in Vietnam for about 9 years. Their JBP grow much faster than here . Vietnam climate is almost similar to Florida. Every time I came to visit South Florida, it reminded me my motherland!!! :(
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The night temperature is up to 58 F in a week. The pine seeds started waking up more. I have 17 seedlings so far. More to come !
97D3B333-A7F0-4A3F-B950-8A7ED290E436.jpeg 8F6EEA15-CBF8-4B54-B0DA-240E069E3D3D.jpeg 53C80EA7-D382-4678-B688-307828239917.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Up to this afternoon, there are 51 seedlings out of 130 sown seeds. I will have more seedlings since the temperature has been going up .
Thụ Thoại

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice!
I had about 50 yesterday. Maybe 4 today. Something has been feasting in my seedling trays ?

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yea gotta keep em protected some how. I kept mine in the shade till they hardened off just to be safe
I think it was tree rats. The top was nocked off the seeding tray,and I caught one in the live trap I set on my pigeon coop about 5 feet away.
Sometimes they are brave enough to steal eggs too.
Luckily there are still about 50 seeds in the fridge.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it was tree rats. The top was nocked off the seeding tray,and I caught one in the live trap I set on my pigeon coop about 5 feet away.
Sometimes they are brave enough to steal eggs too.
Luckily there are still about 50 seeds in the fridge.
I had huangshan red pine and black pine last year. They ate everything except the black pine. I assumed it was squirrels then I saw a cardinal pulling some out just to fly off after not even eating just snapping trunks

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had huangshan red pine and black pine last year. They ate everything except the black pine. I assumed it was squirrels then I saw a cardinal pulling some out just to fly off after not even eating just snapping trunks
when i tell people birds visit my benches just to bite seedlings in half and then bounce they don't believe me. haha at least I know I'm not insane

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are 57 seedlings this afternoon. It means there are 6 added on in one day. I expect more to come in the next few weeks.

Yea gotta keep em protected some how. I kept mine in the shade till they hardened off just to be safe
Mine is in the area with 1 hour morning sun.

I had huangshan red pine and black pine last year.
I did not know there are Huangshan red and black pine ! The seller sold them as Huangshan pine seeds. Let see what they are when they grow up!
Thụ Thoại

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Huangshan pine were seeded a week ago after about 60 days cold stratification. I had 25 seeds and 6 are up now. Mine are inside under grow lamps so no problem with critters. I am happy with the six but I think more are coming because 5 of those 6 came up today.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I
There are 57 seedlings this afternoon. It means there are 6 added on in one day. I expect more to come in the next few weeks.

Mine is in the area with 1 hour morning sun.

I did not know there are Huangshan red and black pine ! The seller sold them as Huangshan pine seeds. Let see what they are when they grow up!
Thụ Thoại
was listing, huangshan, Japanese red pine, and Japanese black pine. Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom