Humidity Trays

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I see many have these trays for sale for bonsai trees indoor and outdoor. I understand it elps to provide humidity back to the plany.

My question is do I need to buy these special trays or can I use smaller ones I have and fill with pebbles and put the tree on top of it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have absolutely no benefits--except to the person selling them. Their effects on localized humidity levels is non-existent. YOU DON'T NEED THEM....in any size, shape or form.

If you really want to help the indoor humidity levels for tropicals, a room humidifier will do the job.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I've heard conflicting reports on what good they do. I have to agree with Rock that a humidifier would do a better job, and they don't cost that much. (Look in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart.)

If you want to use a tray, it won't hurt, as long as the level of water in the tray is not up to the bottom of the pots. Any tray will (or won't) work.)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Someone did a mini study on this and found that the humidity was raised about 0.01% for about 3 cm above the tray. NO benefit above 3 cm (1.4 inches + or -).

====

In practice, I suspect humidity trays have killed more trees than they have saved because beginners often set their pots down into the water and the roots rot.

Now, if you are into suiseki, they can be fair substitutes for a small suiban -- filled with water or sand.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use the trays I bought when I started out -and wasted my $$ on them- as moss gardens now.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom