I created websites for trying pots on your bonsai and drawing foliage designs

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
bonsaiDesignerRedditAwarenessPost.png

redditAwarenessPost2.PNG

Hey everyone,

I have made a free website that lets you upload images of your trees and sketch foliage on them. Planning the final height, width and pad layout of my trees (especially deciduous and new stock) I have found useful and wanted to share it with everyone in hopes you do too.

Link: https://thebonsaiproject.com/bonsaidesigner/

Long story
I am a software engineer with a passion for bonsai and have been writing a bunch of different tools to help myself along the way. I am pretty shocking at drawing trees and often misplace them in the bin. But this way I can try a bunch of different layouts quite quickly and not lose them because it's saved on my computer.

This is the second release in a series of projects. Here are links to the one for trying different pots and the drawer:
Try bonsai pots: https://thebonsaiproject.com/trypotsonline/
Drawer (this post): https://thebonsaiproject.com/bonsaidesigner/

If you have an interest in these projects, feedback or want to collaborate, here is a link to a form where you can do so [EDIT] Removed form link [/EDIT]

The photo is of one of my first forest plantings I did a couple weeks back and started to look at different layouts. I enjoy this a lot so there will be plenty more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I removed the form link. If people want to go to your site, and then contact you, they can do so independently.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 456141

View attachment 456142

Hey everyone,

I have made a free website that lets you upload images of your trees and sketch foliage on them. Planning the final height, width and pad layout of my trees (especially deciduous and new stock) I have found useful and wanted to share it with everyone in hopes you do too.

Link: https://thebonsaiproject.com/bonsaidesigner/

Long story
I am a software engineer with a passion for bonsai and have been writing a bunch of different tools to help myself along the way. I am pretty shocking at drawing trees and often misplace them in the bin. But this way I can try a bunch of different layouts quite quickly and not lose them because it's saved on my computer.

This is the second release in a series of projects. Here are links to the one for trying different pots and the drawer:
Try bonsai pots: https://thebonsaiproject.com/trypotsonline/
Drawer (this post): https://thebonsaiproject.com/bonsaidesigner/

If you have an interest in these projects, feedback or want to collaborate, here is a link to a form where you can do so [EDIT] Removed form link [/EDIT]

The photo is of one of my first forest plantings I did a couple weeks back and started to look at different layouts. I enjoy this a lot so there will be plenty more to come.
I’ll give this a go later!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Awesome!

Quality looking website, the foliage generator is pretty convincing juniper foliage and the pot selector is a great idea!

Unfortunately the pot selector itself didn't work for me though, it just randomly overlays the pot over my picture without any kind of positioning feature.

There's so so so much more that could go into this: a background feature to remove branches would be ace and different foliage types would be a great start.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Awesome!

Quality looking website, the foliage generator is pretty convincing juniper foliage and the pot selector is a great idea!

Unfortunately the pot selector itself didn't work for me though, it just randomly overlays the pot over my picture without any kind of positioning feature.

There's so so so much more that could go into this: a background feature to remove branches would be ace and different foliage types would be a great start.
Ahh damn! Yeah there should definitely be position and size controls there but maybe something is bugging out. I'll try to sort something out.

I think you are reading my mind haha! The initial idea is to not put tons of time in to what I think would be great to add but put it out there and hear back from others what they would love so I really appreciate that feedback. I may have made the control too hidden, but there is 7 foliage types which can be changed by clicking the foliage image in the tool bar down the bottom. But if you were thinking other types again, let me know what ones are missing! Below is an image of where to click!

1663718000457.png

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is an awesome tool, and the foliage looks and works well. I think a adding a pine would be helpful.
I couldn’t get the pot to show on my pic though. Could be user error.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Awesome!

This is an awesome tool, and the foliage looks and works well. I think a adding a pine would be helpful.
I couldn’t get the pot to show on my pic though. Could be user error.

I have released an update for "trypotsonline" which should fix any issues around positioning and scaling that was happening. Not sure if this will fix the pic not showing though. I will keep testing but if it doesn't resolve itself and you are happy to help me sort the issue you can DM me on facebook, continue in this thread or somewhere else just let me know. Thanks for the feedback!

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have released an update for "trypotsonline" which should fix any issues around positioning and scaling that was happening. Not sure if this will fix the pic not showing though. I will keep testing but if it doesn't resolve itself and you are happy to help me sort the issue you can DM me on facebook, continue in this thread or somewhere else just let me know. Thanks for the feedback!
The pot feature works for me now! Pine foliage looks great too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ahh damn! Yeah there should definitely be position and size controls there but maybe something is bugging out. I'll try to sort something out.

I think you are reading my mind haha! The initial idea is to not put tons of time in to what I think would be great to add but put it out there and hear back from others what they would love so I really appreciate that feedback. I may have made the control too hidden, but there is 7 foliage types which can be changed by clicking the foliage image in the tool bar down the bottom. But if you were thinking other types again, let me know what ones are missing! Below is an image of where to click!

View attachment 456337
Ahh yes, i've had a bit of a more in-depth play with it and found both the different foliage types and the pot scale/position features - being a Millennial I was expecting to be able to drag the pot to position but it works fine with the X/Y axis! It really is a great concept and i love it!

I think a great feature would be the ability to use an 'eraser' to a) remove branches, as mentioned previously, and b) to remove the visible bits of the old pot when trying a new pot. Sounds easy, right?, but I bet it's not, as you'd have to factor in generating/blending in a matching background - something i know nothing about!

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Can you do Tamarind and Guggul ?
I'll have a look at adding Taramind which is also quite close to Jacaranda and Poinciana and think would be good!. I'll also have a closer look at Guggul.
Can you design a bonsai toolset etc ?
Are you able to elaborate on this a bit more? I am interested to know what you're thinking!

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ahh yes, i've had a bit of a more in-depth play with it and found both the different foliage types and the pot scale/position features - being a Millennial I was expecting to be able to drag the pot to position but it works fine with the X/Y axis! It really is a great concept and i love it!

I think a great feature would be the ability to use an 'eraser' to a) remove branches, as mentioned previously, and b) to remove the visible bits of the old pot when trying a new pot. Sounds easy, right?, but I bet it's not, as you'd have to factor in generating/blending in a matching background - something i know nothing about!

I bet you aren't the only one haha, on the next iteration I'll look at making it a bit more intuitive! Thanks for the great input to, I really am all ears so I'll see what I can cook up for a) and b).

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Nice work so far! Thank you for sharing and taking the time to develop. Would it be possible to add rotation control to uploaded photos?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Are you able to elaborate on this a bit more? I am interested to know what you're thinking!
At this stage I would be looking at view different brands of Bonsai toolset ( sort of like a dictionary for the bonsai user )
Questions get all the time ( if you could show different sets etc )

also could you add Brazilian Raintree (probably should do this one first )

Top Bottom