I Had a Kingsville Boxwood

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I hate even to share this but I need some guidance. A small Kingsville that I have had for 20+ years. I always stick it in the ground behind the garage for the winter. It has always been fine. This year did the usual. A dry winter with little rain & snow. With everything going on the sprinklers were a bit late coming on. Now it is discolored and crispy. Don't know if it dried up, froze or? Can't find any "good" green leaves. My question is, do I just leave as is watering to keep moist or should I start cutting off leaves that look really bad? Thanks for the help.
Remove the largest unhealthy leaves to open up the interior, this will allow any latent buds to begin and remain healthy! Keep moist but not wet, morning sun and afternoon shade. Organic fertilizer or light dose of fish fertilizer. I find my Kingsville respond well to more frequent repotting and deeper pots! they love akadama/kanuma mix. This really promotes their fine root mass.
Mine always weaken in full sun and hate drying out! Guaranteed problems if either occurs. Here is my favourite! Shohin below 6 inches for the tree. Note I use a deeper pot for the health of the species.

Attachments

• IMG_9217.jpeg
    IMG_9217.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you have a water tray? The leaves needs misting and roots need a deep watering
Gee, may I start an argument here? How long do you think misting affects the air immediately surrounding the tree canopy lasts? Five whole minutes? Less? Much less? Mist your face and time the discernible effects. I seriously doubt that you could measure the humidity at canopy level as being different from that same level 5 feet away. If, and only if, the whole shebang is in direct sun, it may cool the bottom of the pot, which would be good in itself, but it would have to hold lots of water and be broad enough to contain lots of water for the whole period intended. Not the typical water tray configuration. Misting is silliness unless in an automatic system rarely encountered.

Neexx-x-t-t!

Daluke

Mame
Reaction score
Why do people mist cuttings?

Don’t take the advice if you don’t want t

Here’s a tray of kvb - this batch is regularly misted and left in water

I expect that the fine root system and density of the leaves thrive with regular water.

When they dr out the leaves lose their green.

I hope the tree in this thread is salvageable-

Attachments

• B1C224E1-77C8-4CFD-884E-F67F7B1210F5.jpeg
    B1C224E1-77C8-4CFD-884E-F67F7B1210F5.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 35
  • A08A7933-4476-4644-AB4B-F5C67234F8CA.jpeg
    A08A7933-4476-4644-AB4B-F5C67234F8CA.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 29

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why do people mist cuttings?

Don’t take the advice if you don’t want t

Here’s a tray of kvb - this batch is regularly misted and left in water

I expect that the fine root system and density of the leaves thrive with regular water.

When they dr out the leaves lose their green.

I hope the tree in this thread is salvageable-
Are they in standing water?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've developed a phobia about working hardy plants during the storage/over-wintering period. I bring them into the house or garage for a couple hours, do a little clean-up, and a couple months later they're dead or dying. I haven't done it for years, but this spring I did a kvb and all the leaves dropped dead. It's partially coming back, but two major branches are goners ruining the design. Never again.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@j evans Your winter/my summer. Summer kills boxwood around here. These 3 have 70% shade cloth over them and they sit under my bench all summer long. I have finally figured out how to keep them alive through AZ summer. I have killed a few for sure. The point being, keep trying to figure out what micro environment you need to provide for them to survive. Nice tree to lose!

20200624_104249.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My neglect, didn't notice it dried out so bad during the winter. You screw up, they can be a goner. First bonsai I ever got so it was a bit special. Last one I'll ever have that long. Thanks for the input and learn from other's mistakes.
It's easier than making your own.

Top Bottom