Distinguishing Kingsville from other boxwood, am I being scammed?

Ali Bubba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey everyone. Just picked up a couple more boxwood, supposedly kingsville. Problem is, the texture of the foliage is nothing like the ones I already have. They're young and healthy, but the leaves are very soft and inconsistent in size, and to me don't even seem to be the right shape.... Some leaves are elongated. The kingsville I have are of exceedingly uniform leaf size and have a borderline plastic appearance and feel to the leaves, they're not all soft and delicate. Are these kingsville, or am I getting scammed? The first photo is one of my kingsville, followed by 3 pics of the new ones. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230614_163336.jpg
    20230614_163336.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20230614_163254.jpg
    20230614_163254.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230614_163306.jpg
    20230614_163306.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230614_163300.jpg
    20230614_163300.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 113

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it's "real" Kingsville. Leaves are a bit to elongated and not tight enough together.

Most likely another dwarf variety. FWIW, all the small leaved boxwood varieties are constantly confused with one another. Kingsville has become a marketing tool, as it has a history in bonsai. In the end, doesn't make all that much difference. It's a difference of degrees, really. All the small leaved cultivars make good bonsai. Kingsville just has the smallest leaves (which are tightly congested on the stem--which makes them a pain in the ass to thin out.)

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
So I’m no expert, just a guy growing plants and trying to create bonsai’s.

This is a kingsville from a reputable seller.

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 87

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Now here is a Hoffmann dwarf from the same seller next to the kingsville boxwood.

This is the leaf size difference on my two.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2801.jpeg
    IMG_2801.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 94

Ali Bubba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I’m no expert, just a guy growing plant and try to create bonsai’s.

This is a kingsville from a reputable seller.
Yes, exactly like the ones I have, and nothing like the ones I just received. Thanks so much. Who is the seller, if you don't mind me asking?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone. Just picked up a couple more boxwood, supposedly kingsville. Problem is, the texture of the foliage is nothing like the ones I already have. They're young and healthy, but the leaves are very soft and inconsistent in size, and to me don't even seem to be the right shape.... Some leaves are elongated. The kingsville I have are of exceedingly uniform leaf size and have a borderline plastic appearance and feel to the leaves, they're not all soft and delicate. Are these kingsville, or am I getting scammed? The first photo is one of my kingsville, followed by 3 pics of the new ones. Thanks.
The shape and comparative leaf size of the boxwood you received are " unlike the Kingsville boxwood" . I suspect they have been misidentified. Kingsville leaves are easily distinguished by the short pointed oval appearance as in this photo of my Kingsville bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 87

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Same seller,
Morris midget next to a kingsville.
The morris midget came to me in real bad shape, didn’t think it would live.

Two years on the bench now.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 54

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks
My large one is said to be 30 years old at time of purchase, I think I purchased it in 2017.

Here is a picture when I received it.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpeg
    IMG_2806.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 79

Ali Bubba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The first picture looks much more like one. The others look different.
Yeah, the first one is one of mine. I just had a conversation with the seller about it, and sent him the same pics, he seemed to genuinely have no idea. Apparently they're sold by one of his growers as kingsville and he's never actually seen one. At any rate, quick refund. I appreciate the feedback.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the first one is one of mine. I just had a conversation with the seller about it, and sent him the same pics, he seemed to genuinely have no idea. Apparently they're sold by one of his growers as kingsville and he's never actually seen one. At any rate, quick refund. I appreciate the feedback.
refund but you get the keep the tree? if so, wow nice seller

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Kingsville will revert back to larger foliage. You have to keep the larger new growth stems at bay. I could easily see someone taking cuttings from the new growth and not knowing the difference.

@Ali Bubba if you removed the outer growth do the inner leaves look smaller?

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Agree,
You need to keep on top of pinching or cutting back on new large growth.

Thanks

Top Bottom