I should have started bonsai long ago...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like growing maples from seeds, looking for the odd one out, the precious one.

This one was a cutting from a seed gathered some 8-10 years ago from a green or red dissectum on a roadside plantation. The leaves are narrower and the mother plant has this central lobe slightly twisted as is often the case in seedlings from dissectum seeds.

acerp-nonid03_130527b.jpg

I repotted an air-layer today. It has the characteristics of lace-leafed maples, it grows very slowly, is not vigorous on its own roots, has a greyish bark and the branches snap when you try to bend them too much. It had been for several years in a plastic pot, but most of the leaves were on the surface, another characteristic of many Japanese maples.

acerp-nonid03-bt1_190307b.jpg
acerp-nonid03-bt1_190307c.jpg
acerp-nonid03-bt1_190307d.jpg

erin-victor.jpg

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like growing maples from seeds, looking for the odd one out, the precious one.

This one was a cutting from a seed gathered some 8-10 years ago from a green or red dissectum on a roadside plantation. The leaves are narrower and the mother plant has this central lobe slightly twisted as is often the case in seedlings from dissectum seeds.

View attachment 230689

I repotted an air-layer today. It has the characteristics of lace-leafed maples, it grows very slowly, is not vigorous on its own roots, has a greyish bark and the branches snap when you try to bend them too much. It had been for several years in a plastic pot, but most of the leaves were on the surface, another characteristic of many Japanese maples.

View attachment 230698
View attachment 230699
View attachment 230700

View attachment 230706
when did Victor start doing the stamp with the yin-yang thing? Does that designate a SE pot?

All of mine only have the "ERIN" stamp

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well.... I started bonsai at 62....
And I just got some trident maple seeds down.... umm.... last week. I might buy some JBP seeds next week.

Just for some perspective, my 92 yr old dad told me he wished he had started planting citrus 10 years ago. I guess it is never too late to get some enjoyment out of doing something.

Onward!

Last edited:

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And I just got some trident maple seeds down.... umm.... last week. I might buy some JBP seeds next week.

Just for some perspective, my 92 yr old dad told me he wished he had started planting citrus 10 years ago. I guess it is never too late to get some enjoyment out of doing something.

Onward!
You are an optimist! We are in the same boat though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Onward!
You can save yourself a year by buying some seedlings from Matt Ouwinga. He sells one year old seedlings. Www.kaedebonsai-en.com

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You can save yourself a year by buying some seedlings from Matt Ouwinga. He sells one year old seedlings. Www.kaedebonsai-en.com
I took your advice earlier to heart. I'm going to buy much further along pre-bonsai soon so I wont be buying year old seedlings. I'm doing this just to learn this phase of the process knowing that the trees I planted will be enjoyed by someone else, much like the hundreds of trees I'm planting on my property.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I took your advice earlier to heart. I'm going to buy much further along pre-bonsai soon so I wont be buying year old seedlings. I'm doing this just to learn this phase of the process knowing that the trees I planted will be enjoyed by someone else, much like the hundreds of trees I'm planting on my property.

You can save yourself DECADES by spending time with someone - anyone - who is an experienced bonsai professional. I am not kidding when I say if you really want to accelerate your progression... shadow a pro. Forget about the time you will save; the MONEY you will save is substantial. People think the key to great bonsai is buying great trees. It isn't. It's buying experience.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You can save yourself DECADES by spending time with someone - anyone - who is an experienced bonsai professional. I am not kidding when I say if you really want to accelerate your progression... shadow a pro. Forget about the time you will save; the MONEY you will save is substantial. People think the key to great bonsai is buying great trees. It isn't. It's buying experience.
I'm planning on that too but there are other things in life :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm planning on that too but there are other things in life :)

I know. That is why, after posting the above, I shot out messages to two people I respect in bonsai... asking to get together. I said - if we don't get it on the calendar, it isn't going to happen :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Onward!
Legendary

Top Bottom