I want to make a drastic cut on my barbados cherry

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've had this plant for over 2 years, it comes from an air layer of a tree that is about 10 years old here at home. At the time I didn't know anything about bonsai and I ended up making a cut that made me lose part of the bark.

I've been trying to make a good design on this plant but it's been difficult. I know that 2 years is nothing when you make bonsai but sometimes I don't really have a future for it, but I've been looking at some threads here and many people got much better plants by making a drastic cut to better shape the tree. So here are some ideas of mine.

This was supposed to be the apex of the plant but with the possibility of the drastic cut I thought I'd take advantage of it and make an air layer to become a mame in the future.
acerola alporque.pngacerola design.png

In this first option I could use the branch circled in blue to be the new main trunk. I would wire it up and position it better. I also thought about making the branch circled in green become a semi-cascade too.
acerola design 2.png
now here, what was once the first branch will become the main trunk and the other would be the new first branch.
With this drastic cut I thought of doing it like those bonsai with a hole in the trunk (sambamiki I think)
acerola design 1.pngWell, those are my ideas. Any suggestion would help me a lot!

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
What did you end up doing?
Turns out I didn't even do much at all. I'm thinking of keeping the top of the tree where I wanted to make an air layer. I just let it grow and pruned it in some places. the top part I let this branch grow free to get more taper and proportion to the tree.WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 16.40.10 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 16.40.10.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 16.40.09.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 16.40.08.jpeg

I'm still in doubt about the project of this tree but I think that little by little I can see more shape in it. When a good time comes I will defoliate the tree to better see the structure of branches of the plant and to better decide what I will do.

Regarding the part that died I haven't done any work yet because I don't have the tools yet.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
thanks!! Over time I'll see more and more a good shape for her. The way is to never stop trying and studying.

I really liked the species. She responds well to bonsai techniques and is very resistant (in my climate at least she behaves very well). she has an important "meaning" in my life. In the two houses where I've lived since I was little, both had this tree. This one was made from an air layer of that tree.
Mine never came to bear fruit, but in the anxiety of bonsai I was always pruning so I never left room for fruit to appear. but this year I will make it more free and I hope to get some fruits. If I get I'll post a picture.

As we all do. :) I like the way it looks, and letting it grow won't hurt. I don't see many Barbados Cherry and I always enjoy seeing them. Does yours flower or fruit?

Top Bottom