ID that bush

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
So i have this bush that I plan on digging up out of my backyard for bonsai purposes, but i don't really know what type of bush it is. If anyone could help me identify it that would be great. THanks a bunch. Oh and the leaves are about 1/2 and inch long of less.

Attachments

• Leaves_1.jpg
    Leaves_1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Leaves_2.jpg
    Leaves_2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Trunk_1.jpg
    Trunk_1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 44

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
no, it's not an azalea... it doesn't get any berries, and i don't think it flowers... if this information helps any.. other have suggested escallonia, japanese holly, and winterberry... anyone got any other guesses ... oh I don't know if it helps or not, but i've noticed that many of the branches that have touched the ground have grown roots.. it seems to do that really easily

Last edited:

weeble

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like an escallonia to me, and if so they are darn near impossible to kill (at least around here!) They're a common hedge in this area.

Foliage is a bit too serrated for an azalea...

Escallonia do flower, usually late summer, and in my experience if you crush the foliage, it has a rather strong scent.

Maryjane

aka Weeble

Whistling Fish Pottery

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Ok so i talked to my parents and apparently the bush does get pinkish flowers on it. so we'll say :) maybe it is escallonia :) thanks for your help... i'll have to wait till it flowers to confirm, but we'll see.. it's taking me forever to dig the thing up, it's right on top of a million water pipes and electrical stuff, so i have to be careful while I dig.... i hope i get a big enough root ball, but it was a kinda now or never thing, so we'll see, i hope it lives, its beautiful :) - i hope they are impossible to kill... cause i might get close... :)

Last edited:

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Ok it's all dug up and potted in a huge pot. Ugh i'm going to be sore tomorrow... i hope it lives... I think i got a pretty big root ball... there was no tap root, which has a relief, unless i just somehow managed to get the whole thing since it was pretty much planted on a huge cement slab. Well wish me luck, i'll start a new thread with pictures later, then let it grow out this year (if it survives) and get advice for styling next year.. though we could start thinking of ideas now... whatever, we'll see, right now i'm just really excited that i managed to dig that up... my dad said i could have it if i could get it out.. i wonder what my mom is going to say when she finds out.... i wonder if she'll even notice? :) Thanks everyone for your help.

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
One more thing - if anyone has any care guides for Escallonia (if that is what this is) or knows anything about caring for them and could let me know that would be great. Thanks again everyone :)

weeble

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Care guide.... hmmm, lets see, the one in the yard has survived being chainsawed back down to the ground (from about 6 feet high) 3 years in a row, then hit with round-up 3 or 4 times, never being watered by anything other than mother nature (its in the ground, so thats not saying much) a few more rounds of round-up and/or crossbow without whacking back because it annoyed me, being whacked back a few more times, being clipped as a hedge because it JUST WONT DIE, and OH, can't forget the large pine that landed on it and broke it back down to the base again...

So, basic care should include sun to shade, water, soil, and voila, happy Escallonia...

Oh yeah, if you left any roots, it'll probably grow back so your mother will hardly notice!

Good luck!

Maryjane

aka Weeble

Whistling Fish Pottery

Last edited:

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Haha thanks weeble, its good to know that it's hard to kill, since my newbieness can do bad things sometimes :)

Top Bottom