Ideas on what to do with ugly trunk

Steez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bury - Air layer - Ground layer? I have to get this in a grow box and this root/trunk has always bothered me. Any help or advice appreciated.
I've had it about ten years, over winters in basement with supp lighting and heat. Can is for scale.

Attachments

• willowF (1).jpg
    willowF (1).jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 96
  • willowF (2).jpg
    willowF (2).jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 83
  • willowF (3).jpg
    willowF (3).jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 88

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering the time of year, you may be able to move this tree in a whole new better direction. Chop the trunk just above where the smaller low V is (root what you chop off) and wire it to give some movement. This will be your new trunk line. Then pull the tree from the pot and cut roots off until what you have left looks decent. Then put it back in the pot. Can't hurt, right?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Steez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Considering the time of year, you may be able to move this tree in a whole new better direction. Chop the trunk just above where the smaller low V is (root what you chop off) and wire it to give some movement. This will be your new trunk line. Then pull the tree from the pot and cut roots off until what you have left looks decent. Then put it back in the pot. Can't hurt, right?
Zach
When you say "chop" do you mean ground layer? Or completely chop and re-pot? If I do that it may not make it I would think..... and I have a history with this tree now.

Steez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh wait.....Are you talking about here?

Attachments

• InkedwillowF (1)_LI.jpg
    InkedwillowF (1)_LI.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 71

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting looking roots....in a distracting kind of way.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wait.....Are you talking about here?
No, use the branch above your circle as the new leader. Wire it up and give it a little movement. Make it your new leader. Completely chop off everything above that. Ficuses root so easily you should be able to root the whole upper trunk portion (be sure to cover it all with a clear produce back to keep the humidity up).

Top Bottom