Identify this pine tree

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all,
I'm trying to identify the pine in the attached pictures. I've seen in other threads that pines can only be identified by its cones, so hopefully these pictures will do. Although pines aren't particularly common in South Africa, it doesn't seem like one of the "common" ones pinus patula or Pinus pinea. I'm thinking maybe pinus pinaster, ponderosa pine or Pinus taeda. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220915_085421.jpg
    20220915_085421.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220915_085358.jpg
    20220915_085358.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220915_085407.jpg
    20220915_085407.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 27
  • images.jpeg-20.jpg
    images.jpeg-20.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 25

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do all of those pines grow wild in S. Africa? They look like wild pines. I would not even hazard a guess.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They do look much like some variety of ponderosa to me too, though I'd be surprised to see them thriving in South Africa. I thought they needed more of a cold/dormancy period than that climate could provide. Maybe a western Sierras variety?
A closeup of the needles would help narrow it down.

This thing about pines only being identifiable by cones isn't quite right. Every species has its own unique sort of cones, yes, but they're just part of the whole picture along with everything else. Still, it's true you can narrow it down very quickly if you're familiar the cones.

Do all of those pines grow wild in S. Africa? They look like wild pines. I would not even hazard a guess.
They all look too evenly spaced and all roughly the same size, at least to me, for them to be naturally occurring.
I'd posit an early 20th century attempt to introduce forestry, or perhaps desertification efforts.
I'm fascinated by it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That cone and bark could be Southern Longleaf pine. It's grown here in the southern states on plantations as well for lumber and turpentine. That looks like familiar rows of a tree farm/plantation the same down there.

The cone doesn't look like a loblolly cone to me.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They do look much like some variety of ponderosa to me too, though I'd be surprised to see them thriving in South Africa. I thought they needed more of a cold/dormancy period than that climate could provide. Maybe a western Sierras variety?
A closeup of the needles would help narrow it down.

This thing about pines only being identifiable by cones isn't quite right. Every species has its own unique sort of cones, yes, but they're just part of the whole picture along with everything else. Still, it's true you can narrow it down very quickly if you're familiar the cones.

They all look too evenly spaced and all roughly the same size, at least to me, for them to be naturally occurring.
I'd posit an early 20th century attempt to introduce forestry, or perhaps desertification efforts.
I'm fascinated by it.
So the picture of the trees are actually of a man made "forest", in realistic terms it's more like a park. So hence the unnatural planting appearance, but there's not a lot of information locally about these trees. And there are a number of these trees growing "wild" around the area because of this "forest". All i know is these trees aren't the same ones used in the lumber or paper industries.

The main reason i'm asking is that i've germinated some seeds of these and attempting to find out whether they are a viable option for making bonsai. As i won't even attempt it if they are something similar to pinus patula in difficulty level as i see many struggle with these

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That cone and bark could be Southern Longleaf pine. It's grown here in the southern states on plantations as well for lumber and turpentine. That looks like familiar rows of a tree farm/plantation the same down there.

The cone doesn't look like a loblolly cone to me.
Thanks, this at least ticks off one from the possibilities list

Top Bottom