I'm growing mushrooms in one of my ill-designed boxes, do I need to re-box ASAP?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A capful in the livewell perks oxygen depleted bass right up.
I feel dumb admitting this but I've read this post enough times now that my inability to understand it is starting to bug me, would love if you could re-phrase it :D

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The vinegar thing is for moss. Moss doesn't grow in strongly acidic conditions (nor on metal). Peroxide works on a broad spectrum of fungi and bacteria and isn't particularly threatening to tree roots. Get 3% peroxide from the grocery/pharmacy. Dilute it with at least 3 parts water. Scrub gently with an soft toothbrush. Diluting 2 tablespoons peroxide to a quart is a handy spray fungicide and essentially Zerotol at their lable directions.

So much yes

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I feel dumb admitting this but I've read this post enough times now that my inability to understand it is starting to bug me, would love if you could re-phrase it :D

He is referring to the use of a spoon of Peroxide in a Live Well on a Fishing boat when the fish are oxygen depleted. In Mike's case it is a Bass Boat as he is an avid Bass Fisherman ;)

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He is referring to the use of a spoon of Peroxide in a Live Well on a Fishing boat when the fish are oxygen depleted. In Mike's case it is a Bass Boat as he is an avid Bass Fisherman ;)

Grimmy
Yep. We get weight taken off of our total for each dead fish.
We also dope them to keep them calm. We sometimes haul them around for up to close to 8 hours.
I've only lost 4 fish in all of the tournaments I've fished. All due to being deep hooked. Not from oxygen depletion.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Folks ask me if I cut myself often when I go to Costco and show up at checkout with 8 bottles of peroxide...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok so let me get this straight

@0soyoung: You use 1 cup of peroxide per quart of water as a fungicide?
@milehigh_7 : you use a 1:15 solution of peroxide and water as a root drench?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

As a root drench, no stronger than ...
As a general anti-fungal spray and root dip, 2 tablespoons in a quart of water is what I use.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

Depends on why I am using it. 1:4 if I have fungus gnat larvae or some obvious pathogen taking up residence in the soil. I would not go much stronger than 1:4 ever however.

If my problem is compacted soil any amount will fix it. Your soil will look a bit like a cake because it will rise with the bubbles and aerate quite nicely. This is the thing to do if you suspect root rot beginning. Reason being is that your plant is drowning and needs some oxygen. The peroxide will kill the pathogens that are attacking your plant and give your soil the oxygen it desperately needs. Doing this can get you through until you have a good time to repot.

I use 1:10 -1:16 as a spray in my 2-gallon sprayer. Controls fungus and many bugs (especially softer bodied ones) on healthy plants. It's a good idea anytime.

This is not a bad chart: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You have to remember what you are doing with the peroxide. You are oxidizing and it can be good and bad. For the same reasons, it kills bacteria, fungi and creepy crawlies, it will kill your tree if you go too strong. It will also burn your skin at higher concentrations. So I adjust it for what I'm trying to kill or control. Or if I just want to supplement the oxygen.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks @milehigh_7, have been using it on benches and bark in varying strengths, very glad @osoyoung menitoned it in the first place I never would've known how handy it is :D Am already heavy on 'natural' stuff (lots of baking soda, vinegar etc use in my house), peroxide is something I'd reserved exclusively for cuts/wounds, very neat finding out it's so safe&versatile!!

Top Bottom