I'm new to bonsai and this forum use with experience could you recommend me a website nursery

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh you meant north of Chicago... NM.

Lol! I was hoping that was a typo!

I'm working with a guy from Rockford...
I had to ask him and he said North!

Hey...same guy said he was bout to propogate a J.Maple...!

Maybe you can hook up for some cuttings.

Iffin I was up there....

I'd be befriending some farmers and digging their nuisance trees.

Sorce

Attachments

• 20170517_162115.jpg
    20170517_162115.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 27

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cass Bonsai in Edwardsville.
Call and talk to Brian to set up a visit, maybe I'll meet you there :)
Maybe @Carol 83 can come play also?
Man thank you for the offer but man it's just a little bit too far for me Chicago is almost to far for me lol

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! I was hoping that was a typo!

I'm working with a guy from Rockford...
I had to ask him and he said North!

Hey...same guy said he was bout to propogate a J.Maple...!

Maybe you can hook up for some cuttings.

Iffin I was up there....

I'd be befriending some farmers and digging their nuisance trees.

Sorce
Puddle welding that deck metal to a structure is one of my least favorite things to do! Being 6'2" it is a breaker.
It's s good job for a 3'2" person :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Puddle welding that deck metal to a structure is one of my least favorite things to do! Being 6'2" it is a breaker.
It's s good job for a 3'2" person :)

I read a dude...down there..taping the stinger to a broomstick.

Hillbilly Hack!

Then there was the dude who filled up a spare tractor tire to run pneumatics in the field.

WSNH!

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read a dude...down there..taping the stinger to a broomstick.

Hillbilly Hack!

Then there was the dude who filled up a spare tractor tire to run pneumatics in the field.

WSNH!

Sorce
Yep!
I have the extension that's made for doing it. Still super sucks!

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Smartpot or regular plastic pot sharps pygmy received it two days ago it's a 1 to 2 year plant

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 16

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smartpot or regular plastic pot sharps pygmy received it two days ago it's a 1 to 2 year plant

Hi Elyah, that's a pretty bad graft union. None of those pots will be deep enough if you want to get rid of that union. Are you able to plant it in the ground? If you can, wrap a piece of wire around the trunk right under the union. Plant the tree deep so the wire is at least a few inches under the soil. After a couple of years, anything under the wire should be dead and you should have a new root systems right above the wire. You won't be able to see a union at all. You'll end up with a bigger tree, too.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 16

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_1283.JPG
Hi Elyah, that's a pretty bad graft union. None of those pots will be deep enough if you want to get rid of that union. Are you able to plant it in the ground? If you can, wrap a piece of wire around the trunk right under the union. Plant the tree deep so the wire is at least a few inches under the soil. After a couple of years, anything under the wire should be dead and you should have a new root systems right above the wire. You won't be able to see a union at all. You'll end up with a bigger tree, too.
Yes i could but I'm in zone 5a how would the plants survive in the winter is what I'm concerned. How about doing that in a 5 gallon bucket

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Between those 2 pots, I would use the smart pot. You can also get large pond baskets. Generally, you shouldn't disturb the roots once the leaves have already opened, but I have cut the bottom part of the soil or split it in half and spread the 2 parts apart flat so it can fit in a pond basket without raking the roots. Then fill the rest of the pot with my soil mix. Do this at your own risk. If you mess around with the roots too much, it will die.

For cheap soil, search "diatomite" in the forums. I use 80% diatomite ($8/25-pound bag)+ 15% soil conditioner (composted pine bark, ~$10?) + 5% pine fines. You can skip the last part because it's expensive. I got it before I found the soil conditioner.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Between those 2 pots, I would use the smart pot. You can also get large pond baskets. Generally, you shouldn't disturb the roots once the leaves have already opened, but I have cut the bottom part of the soil or split it in half and spread the 2 parts apart flat so it can fit in a pond basket without raking the roots. Then fill the rest of the pot with my soil mix. Do this at your own risk. If you mess around with the roots too much, it will die.

For cheap soil, search "diatomite" in the forums. I use 80% diatomite ($8/25-pound bag)+ 15% soil conditioner (composted pine bark, ~$10?) + 5% pine fines. You can skip the last part because it's expensive. I got it before I found the soil conditioner.
I got the soil mix you said only difference I have a 50 pound bag of turface athletics instead of diatomite they are pretty much the same when I plant in the smartpot if it's deep enough should I also apply the wire method like you said I really feel bad bothering you but I really do appreciate the helpful tips like I said I could plant outside but I'm not sure how sharps pygmy would do in my zone 5a in the winter

Top Bottom