Importing From CA to Montana

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Anybody know where I would start for research on how/if I can bring trees into MT from CA?
Thank you.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody know where I would start for research on how/if I can bring trees into MT from CA?
Thank you.
If they are personal property and traveling with you……….for some reason I say …..who cares.

Do not get me wrong.I am a seller of starter material and I have to have yearly compliance with USDA and also am required to i spect my material for several pests like lantern fly,japanese beetle,pine worm,gypsy moth….and noxious weeds……… But for personal trees and traveling in my vehicle I swear I would not even care they’re yours you’re not selling them through the post🤔

it depends on variety also it’s very rare but I am not allowed to sell elm or Zelkova in Oregon whatsoever!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CA
California?
Or
Canada?

If California, you need to look at your state plant regulations. Some states do have regulations on it.

If from Canada then USDA regulations also apply and the plants have to have a phytosanitary certificate from a placethat ensures they are free from pests and diseases, and be bare rooted among other things

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
California has agricultural inspection stations on the way in, but not on the way out

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
California has agricultural inspection stations on the way in, but not on the way out
Correct, California doesn't care what leaves the state which is why I said the OP needs to check the regulations in his state (Montana), the one he wants to import into. Unfortunately with the increasing frequency of invasive plants, insects and diseases, some states have restricted some plants from being brought into the state

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Yes CA….hahahah
The only thing that may be considered invasive is a morus.
I have an email in with the state plant management department.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes CA….hahahah
The only thing that may be considered invasive is a morus.
I have an email in with the state plant management department.
So is it California or Canada?
From this answer, I am guessing California?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Response from the MT Dept, of Ag. This makes me very happy…..was worried about trees I have several years into, my first trees that are coming along nicely with y’all’s help and nursery finds..

Good Morning,

None of our state's quarantines regulate bonsai trees from California, so you are welcome to bring them in.
So long as the trees themselves are not regulated species, such as Russian Olive or Saltcedar.
If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Top Bottom