Incoming Toyo Nishiki quince

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, I kept it in morning sun, per a poor caresheet I found online. Bill V said treat it like a pine and do full sun. So hopeful for next year. Because it's in a prime sun location.
Strange? I have several in morning sun, afternoon shade and all bloomed. I know they like to bloom on older wood though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Strange? I have several in morning sun, afternoon shade and all bloomed. I know they like to bloom on older wood though.
It was early morning sun. 🤷‍♀️ I know Judy sold hers...when it didn't bloom for her believe she had an exposed root quince as well. So...no idea. Maybe I pruned it to hard...at the wrong time. I wish to focus on development to be honest. Blooms are short lived. Those exposed roots are four seasons. 🥰

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So the cuttings of red Toyo Nishiki are blooming. I had set them in more sunny location when in a pot. Put them in the ground last fall. Since the reason of purchasing was to use for grafting. *Rainy overcast day. Dark photo sorry.
20210412_084015.jpg
So I put the Toyo Nishiki bonsai in the same location. Surely it should bloom next year. When the cuttings have bloomed and were there last year.
20210409_093707.jpg

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Cadillactaste is your plan is to graft the red on to the Toyo nishiki?

Technically the cultivar name 'Toyo nishiki' is white, pink and red flowered, but more often we see only the white and pink flowers. I've never heard of Red Toyo nishiki, keep in mind the color and size of the leaves as well as the flower size if you intend graft.

None of my Toyo nishiki's has given any red flowers as of yet. I am curious if it's required like in azaleas that you must take cuttings from specific branches that do produce red flowers. If this is the case we will only see the white and pink flowers.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste is your plan is to graft the red on to the Toyo nishiki?

Technically the cultivar name 'Toyo nishiki' is white, pink and red flowered, but more often we see only the white and pink flowers. I've never heard of Red Toyo nishiki, keep in mind the color and size of the leaves as well as the flower size if you intend graft.

None of my Toyo nishiki's has given any red flowers as of yet. I am curious if it's required like in azaleas that you must take cuttings from specific branches that do produce red flowers. If this is the case we will only see the white and pink flowers.
Brent from Evergreen Gardenworks sells cuttings from Toyo Nishiki...that throw red blooms. Thus red Toyo Nishiki cuttings for grafting.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Brent from Evergreen Gardenworks sells cuttings from Toyo Nishiki...that throw red blooms. Thus red Toyo Nishiki cuttings for grafting.
I figured that's where you got the red version from.

Although to me the naming convention is off. Toyo nishiki is not all red flowers, and I understand the reasoning to adding 'Red' in front.

This seems like a really interesting project to do. Can you confirm if the leaves are the same color and size? I may try this project as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I figured that's where you got the red version from.

Although to me the naming convention is off. Toyo nishiki is not all red flowers, and I understand the reasoning to adding 'Red' in front.

This seems like a really interesting project to do. Can you confirm if the leaves are the same color and size? I may try this project as well.
They were last year. Never doubted they were not of the same tree cultivar. This year the Toyo Nishiki bonsai needed some ironite. But the new foliage is the same. Older foliage us darkening. The one in the ground is walking later and of course their leaf size would be different. One was in a controlled greenhouse environment.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Toyo Nishiki has primarily pink and white flowers. It does throw an ocasional red flower here and there. I planted it 30 years ago and it is about 8-10 feet tall and 15-18 feet wide. I put photos on here last year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My Toyo Nishiki has primarily pink and white flowers. It does throw an ocasional red flower here and there. I planted it 30 years ago and it is about 8-10 feet tall and 15-18 feet wide. I put photos on here last year.
Right, I've heard that about Toyo Nishiki. I believe it may have been Bill V's blog that said one must really consider grafting red onto it for more red. @thumblessprimate1 also encouraged me to graft. Will look for yours later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My Toyo Nishiki. Never considered it for bonsai, planted it about 30 years ago for wildlife. It is 8 to 10 feet tall and and least 15 to 18 feet across. Lots of suckers I will be digging in the late winter.View attachment 277094View attachment 277095
Was this the post you just mentioned? Have any photos of the buds opened?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Matt Ouwinga got some red ones if you guys looking to graft.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree deserves being seen outside of 2D.

It's really coming along on its journey ...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Come now...seeing this outside of 2D...is spectacular. Won't lie...it amazes me to look back at where my trees began. 1000021883.jpg

Top Bottom