Indoor Bonsai Displays: Let's see them!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd love to see what everyone is doing for their tropical trees during the winter months.

Post your indoor setup, let's see what everyone is working with...
-Vin

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A 2005 photo of my basement growing area. Not really a display area. Roughly 1000 plants in the image, most of them orchids, maybe 25 or so trees in pre-bonsai phase. The ''orange glow'' is High Pressure Sodium Lamps. Today a few of them have been replaced with 8 tube, 48 inch T5 fixtures. Other than that it still looks the same. Today I'm probably down to 800 or 700 orchids.

Attachments

• main area1.jpg
    main area1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not really a display, but as asthetically pleasing as I could make it. Sadly, my only South facing window is in my wife's studio where grabby kids and sullen teenagers have access.

Attachments

• IMG_20190104_172635.jpg
    IMG_20190104_172635.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 200

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I got burned on this one......

It was even in the "displays" subgroup.

Thought I was going to see some bonsai on stands with backdrops, accents, stones or scrolls.

Damn, disappointed again!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to show this thread to my wife, especially your post @Leo in N E Illinois ! She thinks I have a lot plants! I only have what will fit in three kitchen window sills. Just a couple orchids and some random houseplants. The closest thing to a bonsai is my fused-trunk ficus and it's still in a houseplant pot. I trim it back from time to time to make the canopy more dense.

I do not have any plants in any other part of the house within reach of my destructive kids. I don't have any fancy lights or shelves or anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ha, I like that the common thread in this thread is to cram as many plants under a light as possible. Did I fake it with that picture sort of like a scroll in back?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 118

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Man I got burned on this one......

It was even in the "displays" subgroup.

Thought I was going to see some bonsai on stands with backdrops, accents, stones or scrolls.

Damn, disappointed again!
Me too. Here ya go Al...uncropped for the full redneck effect:
C7DCBCBA-B40B-4E1A-9C00-A543D4635CC9.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone have an opinion on where a thread like this should have gone? Looking at the posts under "displays" I see why some are disappointed/confused. Would it be better under "general discussion" or "tools and equipment"?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably under tools and equipment but what’s done is done. The forum police have already given you a stern warning and let the rest of us know we should have cropped our redneck pics.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably under tools and equipment but what’s done is done. The forum police have already given you a stern warning and let the rest of us know we should have cropped our redneck pics.

*Whew* glad I'm not OP and just a guy who doesn't want under the gun on future posts haha.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Yeah, I started this thread @atlarsenal, @GSCarlson and @Smoke and I just realized this may be the wrong area to post. However, the title "Bonsai Displays" is sort of what the post is going for. For people displaying their indoor bonsai setups right? ;)
-Vin

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
DSCF0321.JPG
Not bonsai, and not a display. Although.. The terrarium kind of is a display. Built it myself when I was 16 or so. I'm hoping to redo it next summer.

Let's talk safety! Who has an indoor setup AND a smoke/fire detector?
The electrician that did some work in our house a while back, everything is safe but as a joke he gave me a piece of firework and some tape.
"Strap that to your ceiling and you'll sure as hell wake up if there's a fire. Some glass might hit you but it's better to be blind and awake, than barbecued alive while you sleep."
So I bought a smoke detector..

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Improvised indoor greenhouse. Amazingly my wife did not strangle me when she came home and saw it.
Small grow light [too small and too high], in a south facing window, 40w appliance light for heat (located below humidity tray to promote humidity), sheet pan with gravel humidity tray, and plastic paint tarp .
Not a setup I would recommend but it was a desperation solution where I needed light, heat, and humidity for some tropicals (house humidity is often single digits), and had a very small budget. So far it seems been working. The Scheffleras seem to love it.
Safety warning: An unprotected incandescent light near plastic sheet is a recipe for a fire! Don't do it!
Nothing in there is Bonsai yet...maybe two pre-bonsai if you are feeling generous.
20190104_164204.jpg

Top Bottom