Interesting discussion

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find that extremely hard to believe. I have no idea of the intricacies involved with Koi market economics, but from what I can see, there are huge sums exchanging hands for fish sold by Japanese dealers. I wouldn't want anyone to muscle in if I were on the receiving end of that.

To me, it looks a lot like a monopoly protecting its market. No monopoly is sound (and in a market where stratospheric values are placed on such things as fish with the "correct" coloring fin placement, etc things are extremely shaky--see "Dutch Tulip Mania"), despite the rhetoric that's produced by the monopoly. Making others feel inferior, unable to compete or limiting access are tried and true monopolistic tactics.

The Japanese have a vested interest in keeping the smoke and mirrors in place and keeping others out...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I find that extremely hard to believe. I have no idea of the intricacies involved with Koi market economics, but from what I can see, there are huge sums exchanging hands for fish sold by Japanese dealers. I wouldn't want anyone to muscle in if I were on the receiving end of that.

To me, it looks a lot like a monopoly protecting its market. No monopoly is sound (and in a market where stratospheric values are placed on such things as fish with the "correct" coloring fin placement, etc things are extremely shaky--see "Dutch Tulip Mania"), despite the rhetoric that's produced by the monopoly. Making others feel inferior, unable to compete or limiting access are tried and true monopolistic tactics.

The Japanese have a vested interest in keeping the smoke and mirrors in place and keeping others out...

They used to not let the best koi out of Japan, but the last few years they will sell to anyone with the money, also they only take cash, which requires a large paper bag for carring all those yen around the mountains. Once you buy the koi, you need a broker to box it up and carry it down the mountains and back to an International airport, to fly it here to the US, the closest International airport to me is DFW 220 miles away, once you get the koi home you have to have a quarantine set up to be sure it isn't carrying anything that will harm or kill your other koi, and so on and so on.

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a similar vein, the Australian labradoodle (labrador retreiver and poodle cross) market became so protective that the pups are neutered and spayed before they are ever sold so the owners cannot breed them. Big surprise, the ones they breed here in the U.S. are just as nice and much cheaper.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"They used to not let the best koi out of Japan, but the last few years they will sell to anyone with the money"

False scarcity is another classic monopolistic practice. Bundling additional services--involving brokers, packing, etc. are others.

Ever hear of DeBeers:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/08/business/the-diamond-game-shedding-its-mystery.html?pagewanted=1

False shortage?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_shortage

This is also true of bonsai, by the way. The overseas markets are dumping grounds for inferior or overstocked species or trees.

Both of these things are commodities in Japan. The underlying business operates that way.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
"They used to not let the best koi out of Japan, but the last few years they will sell to anyone with the money"

False scarcity is another classic monopolistic practice. Bundling additional services--involving brokers, packing, etc. are others.

Ever hear of DeBeers:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/08/business/the-diamond-game-shedding-its-mystery.html?pagewanted=1

False shortage?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_shortage

This is also true of bonsai, by the way. The overseas markets are dumping grounds for inferior or overstocked species or trees.

Both of these things are commodities in Japan. The underlying business operates that way.

The reason they would not let them leave the country, because they were considered a National Treasure, but the economy and the competition have forced them to sell.
Several years ago, there was an auction in England for a WWII Spitfire, as you might guess it was bid up in the millions, when the English found out it was a rich Texan with the high bid, they refused his bid and settled for the highest English bid, because it was a National Treasure and they didn't want it to leave England. In this greedy world in which we live, it's nice to know there are some things that money won't buy.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom