Intergenerational Equity in Bonsai

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bonsai store on the corner is already trying to figure out how to take EBT cards for soil making supplies.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The bonsai store on the corner is already trying to figure out how to take EBT cards for soil making supplies.

I don't understand how you can survive solely on the government? I guess I am too prideful to want to say that all that I acquired in life is due to someone else giving it to me, instead I would rather earn it with hard work and some blood, sweat, and tears and also leave something behind for the next generation to look forward too. Even if I have to work harder than anyone else to make it happen.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't understand how you can survive solely on the government? I guess I am too prideful to want to say that all that I acquired in life is due to someone else giving it to me, instead I would rather earn it with hard work and some blood, sweat, and tears and also leave something behind for the next generation to look forward too. Even if I have to work harder than anyone else to make it happen.

A noble outlook on life, and one with which I agree wholeheartedly.

Problem is your opening paragraph says otherwise.......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We tried - too much red tape.

Your to honest Bob, you have to think more devious. You trade soil stuff for the card and pin number. Then sell the card and pin number for cash. Easy Peasy.

There are couple guys just down the road from you that can help you out. Just go to the green 67' Torino on blocks, take a left and ask for Eddie "the body bag" Washington. Tell him Smoke sent ya and he will know what to do.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A noble outlook on life, and one with which I agree wholeheartedly.

Problem is your opening paragraph says otherwise.......

Well then it seems that the message that I was trying to relay was misinterpreted. I should have been more clear in my wording. I am just a dumb old country boy.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does this headline mean to you? Do you believe that it is your duty to ensure that the generations to follow are left a better place than you were? It seems that the closer people get to the end they either veer one way or the other.

Either scrutiny fills their mouth when words come out because of the underlying anger at themselves, of all they did not accomplish. Why should they help someone else get it right, nobody helped them?

Or they may look to wizen the next generation with words of wisdom about mistakes they have made and goals they have accomplished. They look at the next generations as an extension of the works they have done and hope that this generation can improve even further upon this.

It seems to me that many are quick to scrutinize in this hobby as they don't want anyone else to know how they came upon their good fortune for fear that these same people will have it easier and become more accomplished than themselves.

It is in my opinion that we are all on this site to find happiness, right? Because practicing the art of bonsai makes us happy. Shouldn't we be more free of ways for people to achieve this happiness?

OK, so take away all the rest of non meaning words and this is what a person is left after reading this. Especially if it is someone that has had some success and has posted nearly everything they have done for the last 30 years, and continues to give on a daily basis.

With that said, this is how I read it.

Do you believe that it is your duty to ensure that the generations to follow are left a better place than you were? Either scrutiny fills their mouth when words come out because of the underlying anger at themselves, of all they did not accomplish. Why should they help someone else get it right, nobody helped them?

It seems to me that many are quick to scrutinize in this hobby as they don't want anyone else to know how they came upon their good fortune for fear that these same people will have it easier and become more accomplished than themselves. Shouldn't we be more free of ways for people to achieve this happiness?

It sounds to me like you poured your heart out....
I am willing to field questions.......

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I seen the headline I thought for sure that Obama was involved somehow ...

We have to tax the Bonsai artists for the value their Bonsai will be worth in the future, its unfair that some should enjoy the intergenerational equity available through their parents bonsai while others only grow tomatoes and they get eaten the end of the year.

ed

I replied thiis way earlier as I took the post in the same vein as Al and others perceived it. In my experience being involved in Bonsai since a child, in a far from professional way, that the practitioners of Bonsai are more than happy to share, advise and promote this art freely. I have never joined a club but whenever I see a Bonsai shop or happen across a vendor or a person I work for who has Bonsai I find them more than willing to talk about their trees and how they accomplished whatever I ask about. In my experience here at Bonsai-nut I have found so many ARTISTS, not just hobbyists like me, who when approached respectfully are willing to offer ideas or critiques freely and honestly. Their intent is to be helpful and promote this art and looking at the works they have shared here is far better than any book I have ever read as I get to see progressions and read how they accomplished the task. I also can see how they could get a tad riled up when they see the same question asked for the umpteenth time or get involved in a thread only to have the OP either ignore or belittle the advise offered. Perhaps the head Nut should have a post on the main page explaining the search function to save some time here. :rolleyes: That said, the premise of your thread seemed more like a jab than a question.

I know there are those who receive pay for workshops and that Bonsai are more expensive the further they have been developed, but truth be told for the amount of time and effort to bring a Bonsai to a finished or near finished state the price is really a bargain. I routinely make $300 to $500 dollars profit for a days work on jobs that are either dangerous or labor intensive in my business. If I were to sell a Bonsai that I had spent 5 + years on to develop, regulating the ferts, watering, trimming, potting and working on I would want a price that would compensate me for 5 + years of work, of course I would not sell many Bonsai either ..... ;)

ed

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
OK, so take away all the rest of non meaning words and this is what a person is left after reading this. Especially if it is someone that has had some success and has posted nearly everything they have done for the last 30 years, and continues to give on a daily basis.

With that said, this is how I read it.

Do you believe that it is your duty to ensure that the generations to follow are left a better place than you were? Either scrutiny fills their mouth when words come out because of the underlying anger at themselves, of all they did not accomplish. Why should they help someone else get it right, nobody helped them?

It seems to me that many are quick to scrutinize in this hobby as they don't want anyone else to know how they came upon their good fortune for fear that these same people will have it easier and become more accomplished than themselves. Shouldn't we be more free of ways for people to achieve this happiness?

It sounds to me like you poured your heart out....
I am willing to field questions.......

-------Yes-------

Top Bottom