Introduction and a question about a Juniper Bonsai confused:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't never heard of it to b honest

Slip potting is removing the plant/tree from it's existing container (in this case the fountain) and putting it in another like size container. The tricky part is you don't want to disturb the soil or roots much when you do it. If you can find a well draining pot that is very close to the same size as the pocket in which it currently resides, then I would slip pot it and get it outside. Does this make sense?

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
Slip potting is removing the plant/tree from it's existing container (in this case the fountain) and putting it in another like size container. The tricky part is you don't want to disturb the soil or roots much when you do it. If you can find a well draining pot that is very close to the same size as the pocket in which it currently resides, then I would slip pot it and get it outside. Does this make sense?

Yes it does. As we so speak I've put it in a unheated room about 35-40 degrees was originaly plannning on leaving it there till spring than keep mostly outside. Was thinking maybe I could leave outside in daytime and bring inside at night. Its a shame caus the tranquility of fountain and tree is just awesome. I guess it best to find a fiscus to put in there. I don't run it all the time and it self waters the soil very very slowely. Not sure what I'm gonna do

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes it does. As we so speak I've put it in a unheated room about 35-40 degrees was originaly plannning on leaving it there till spring than keep mostly outside. Was thinking maybe I could leave outside in daytime and bring inside at night. Its a shame caus the tranquility of fountain and tree is just awesome. I guess it best to find a fiscus to put in there. I don't run it all the time and it self waters the soil very very slowely. Not sure what I'm gonna do

The people that make these type things want to draw you in and play on your emotions but make no considerations for the health of the plant. Junipers are an easy target because they look like a tree with very little pruning. They also can take several months to die off. That gives retailers the extra time that's needed to market the display. It happens all the time. When you find the appropriate size pot post again and we'll help you through the process. Keep in mind a slightly larger pot is better than a smaller pot. If you've had it for a month inside then time is of the essence.

EDIT: By the way, a bonsai pot is not even remotely necessary at this point.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ignore what may be perceived as insults, but embrace the advice. This place will almost always steer you in the right direction. Everybody starts somewhere. Search the forum, read, read read. Good luck.

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
Is there any specific soil and pot I should get for the juniper?

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
The people that make these type things want to draw you in and play on your emotions but make no considerations for the health of the plant. Junipers are an easy target because they look like a tree with very little pruning. They also can take several months to die off. That gives retailers the extra time that's needed to market the display. It happens all the time. When you find the appropriate size pot post again and we'll help you through the process. Keep in mind a slightly larger pot is better than a smaller pot. If you've had it for a month inside then time is of the essence.

EDIT: By the way, a bonsai pot is not even remotely necessary at this point.

So I should wait till spring to repot?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there any specific soil and pot I should get for the juniper?

For now, you're going to want to leave it in the soil it's currently potted in. A small terra cotta pot will work fine but even a plastic pot will work. It needs to be close to the same size as the current root ball and soil. Without making it too complicated, you can use very small in diameter pea gravel or crushed granite (around 1/4") to fill the void between the existing soil and pot wall. It will help with drainage and the ability for the plant to breathe.

Since we are slip potting there is no need to wait until spring.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use small colanders like this to grow juniper cuttings. They work very well. Around here they're widely available at grocery stores and cost about 2.00 or 3.00 dollars. It looks to be about the size you need but it's hard to tell in your photo.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
So ive been looking for a new bonsai I can replace in waterfall. Is bonsaiboy a reputable seller to get bonsais? They seem to have a good amount of bonsais? Here a few I was interested in for the fountain do you think anyone of these would be ok grown indoors in the top of the fountain replacing the juniper or any other bonsais that would be ok? Thanks for your help as always much appreciated

Haiwaan umbrella bonsai tree
Norfolk island pine
Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai Tree
Baby jade bonsai tree
Willow leaf fiscus

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So ive been looking for a new bonsai I can replace in waterfall. Is bonsaiboy a reputable seller to get bonsais? They seem to have a good amount of bonsais? Here a few I was interested in for the fountain do you think anyone of these would be ok grown indoors in the top of the fountain replacing the juniper or any other bonsais that would be ok? Thanks for your help as always much appreciated

Haiwaan umbrella bonsai tree
Norfolk island pine
Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai Tree
Baby jade bonsai tree
Willow leaf fiscus

Forget the Norfolk island pine. There's a long list of vendors in a thread here somewhere. I'll find it later and post it but I'm pretty sure bonsaiboy is on it.

Last edited:

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few small dwarf umbrella trees and have done a good deal of reading up on them. They survive quite well indoors even in only moderate light and don't require a dormancy period. Many don't consider them 'true' bonsai, whatever that means, but there are some really beautiful specimens and with some time, you could have something really nice. Their waxy leaves protect them pretty well from dry indoor air.

I can't recommend any particular online vendors, but beware of bonsaiboy's prices, as they seem to sometimes be inflated. And if you decide on dwarf umbrella (Schefflera arboricola) be careful not to accidentally buy Brassaia (Schefflera actinophylla) which looks very similar and is sometimes just called Schefflera or Umbrella Tree. This species has much larger leaves and a longer internode gro
wth habit (long spindly branches).

Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria afra) is also a good option. Being a succulent, it should to well indoors. Be aware that it too has a larger, non-dwarf 'sister' species (Crassula ovata) that is also called Jade.

Last edited:

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
I see many flowering or fruit indoor bonsais are these harder to care for than the ones i mentioned above?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is bonsaiboy a reputable seller to get bonsais?

No, I'd steer clear of that place. I've been there and bought from them years back. The prices are high and they are one step above a mall bonsai shop in my opinion. Not exactly sure where you are, but suburban bonsai in Dix hills has better quality stuff for better pricing. They may not have the same amount of material, but they should still have something for you. With tropicals, consider purchasing from out of state once the weather is warmer, meehans or wigerts have good tropical stuff if I remember correctly. Ordering tropicals now is a bad idea with our temps though.

Also consider joining a club. Long Island bonsai society meets once a month in oyster bay, they have good speakers and can get you access to decent, cheaper material.

Last edited:

mikeyhill11729

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for heads up I'm close to Dix hills :) yea looking for quality material and someone who knows there stuff. I would like to get a tropical asap missing my fountain got it in an unheated room now to nice to be where it is :( gotta repot juniper and put nice tropical at top of fountain :) thanks for all your guys helps

Top Bottom