Is it the journey or the destination?

DonielDoom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Without a doubt the journey. Ironic that I want to say my highlight is the growth I have seen in myself (close second to the growth I've seen in the trees!).

That said, I'm partial to the major change phases and see less of a "final" version in design. The design is dynamic, due to the nature of the medium, and THAT is my celebration. Each day it's new and different. There's an ounce of predictability in the practice for my comfort, but there's the excitement of chaos and unknown that occurs daily, and that's what really gets me rustled.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Definitely the journey. When I first started, I bought every cheap thing I could find. Then I decided less quantity and better quality was the way I wanted to head. Not like I've ever spent a huge amount on a tree but I have purchased a few nicer trees from Zach Smith, Jason Schley, etc. I have also treated myself to some nicer pots. But honestly the best part of the journey so far has been being a member here. I have learned SO much and even made a few friends in the process. I have gifted and been gifted cuttings and trees and am just so thankful for this community. I doubt that I would have stayed on this journey were it not for this forum.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Definitely the journey. When I first started, I bought every cheap thing I could find. Then I decided less quantity and better quality was the way I wanted to head. Not like I've ever spent a huge amount on a tree but I have purchased a few nicer trees from Zach Smith, Jason Schley, etc. I have also treated myself to some nicer pots. But honestly the best part of the journey so far has been being a member here. I have learned SO much and even made a few friends in the process. I have gifted and been gifted cuttings and trees and am just so thankful for this community. I doubt that I would have stayed on this journey were it not for this forum.
That's awesome, Carol. I totally know what you mean on the quality vs quantity thing. I went through the same kind of evolution on my bonsai journey. When I started, I was buying a lot of subpar quality stuff that really had no potential. Now I only buy one larger piece of quality material a year. I think this is pretty typical for people in this hobby. I'm still starting seedlings, but now I know how to get them off on the right foot to becoming something worth hanging on to. I think there's a lot of value in pursuing these long-term projects. Developing a tree from the ground up to a quality bonsai can be very rewarding.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Both, every stage is fascinating but I'm glad I have a couple nice looking trees.

But what's funny is after awhile you realize your "finished" trees aren't actually finished, and then they all go in grow boxes. I have a few like that.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
But what's funny is after awhile you realize your "finished" trees aren't actually finished, and then they all go in grow boxes. I have a few like that.
This is something that Eric Schrader mentioned in his recent video about Tokoname training pots. I would like to avoid this to prevent limiting growth on my trees, but it’s an easy trap to fall into as everyone wants to get their trees into nice pots.

I plan to avoid this by getting a few trees further along in the process—hoping to get one or two at my club’s sale this weekend!—as well as using Tokoname training pots, which I think look quite nice compared to the other options.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is something that Eric Schrader mentioned in his recent video about Tokoname training pots. I would like to avoid this to prevent limiting growth on my trees, but it’s an easy trap to fall into as everyone wants to get their trees into nice pots.

I plan to avoid this by getting a few trees further along in the process—hoping to get one or two at my club’s sale this weekend!—as well as using Tokoname training pots, which I think look quite nice compared to the other options.

I think it's fine to have fun too, we aren't all doing it for contests. Plus, it's not like they go bad - maybe some time lost as you learn, but there's no reason you can't put it from a nice pot back into a box or grow pot. This is supposed to be fun not work, so hey whatever works! I just have a few that I know aren't really going to progress unless I do it, and now that I'm several years in, that's starting to matter more.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So far, it's all journey and no destination for me. I don't think that if I purchased a nice tree I could enjoy it. I'd be too worried about it all the time. Growing trees from scratch has allowed me the freedom to experiment to see what different species can handle, and that's given me a lot more confidence in what I'm doing. I'm certainly no master, but I like to think I'm improving at a steady rate, so by the time I have some decent trees, I'll be good at taking care of them.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My goal has always been to have my trees my entire life. Sounds weird, but I see my trees as friends and as such, they and I will change as we age and I thinks that's what bonsai is about, change.
I thought I was the odd one having that approach but I see I'm not the only one.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To me bonsai is time in a pot :)

There can be no "destination" because trees never stop growing, evolving. Just like time, you can have good days, you can have bad days... but every now and then you have THE day where you say "wow... it doesn't get much better than this!"

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe the destination defines stopping. Even the best and highly recognized people have to hone skills and keep their blades sharp. So it’s still a journey. Maybe just sitting in first class lol.

Top Bottom