Is it too late for my Beech?!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are lucky you will just get an early dormancy.
This tree, if it does push new leaves in the coming weeks, will have expended a lot of energy. I'd give it some extra protection this winter.
I have several beech and I have had many situations with beech over many years. I would not expect a late season flush but I suppose anything is possible.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bet the tree pushes new growth. I'd be surprised if it didn't. It lost it leaves to shock and sun. If all the leaves are gone, the tree will likely respond. That can be an issue going into the fall/winter. As you know American beech typically have only a single flush of new growth each spring. This tree, if it does push new leaves in the coming weeks, will have expended a lot of energy. I'd give it some extra protection this winter.
U think I should defoliate , leaving the stems behind or just leave it sit

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I did not touch mine. There was no second push. There we’re some obviously dead branches I trimmed this spring, but, otherwise, I’ve let it grow free this year to recover.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've read that beech, unlike maples and other deciduous trees, have a hard time recovering from defoliation. If the tree has suffered, maybe it's not a good idea to force it to expend more energy. I would keep it watered and in the shade for the rest of the growing season and make sure it's protected this winter. Save those little cigar buds for next spring.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would not defoliate, and I would not expect more growth this year. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it was just fine next spring.

Top Bottom