Is my Japanese Maple dying?

Reaction score
I know this isn't Bonsai but I guess you could call it Niwaki.

This Japanese Maple only gets about 3 hours or direct morning sun right now and while I did do some winter pruning I'm not seeing any signs of budding. My one in the back yard gets 6+ hours of afternoon sun and has been budding for weeks. This location also has heavy bird traffic due to a bird feeder and I have no idea if they hurt it.

Should I be worried or do some Japanese Maples just bud later?
FJM May2021 1.jpg

Attachments

• FJM May2021 2.jpg
    FJM May2021 2.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 39

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my weeping jm hasnt done much yet either, give it a couple more weeks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do push buds faster with more sun and my JM bud out over a period of about 3 weeks. Even my slowest ones have swollen buds though.
I do think your tree has life in it but is slow to come out. What did it do last year?
You may have some tip dieback which will slow the whole prcocess as it makes new buds.

Reactions: PNW
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is my first year really paying attention (didn't get into gardening till last summer) but I've noted so many people loving their JM's signs of life I started to get worried. I won't mind a little tip dieback as before this winter it had not been pruned in 10+ years.

You both give me hope. As it is right outside my home office window I've started to love this tree.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Pinkish, reddish, greenish bark = good.... blackish, tan to dull brown bark = not so good. Fat, softish but firm reddish buds = good.... small, brown/grey/black dry to crumbly buds... or no buds = bad.
Thanks for the more detailed explanation @Dav4! ;-) In general, after a while looking at plants, you know which colors are good and which are bad!

Reaction score
Pinkish, reddish, greenish bark = good.... blackish, tan to dull brown bark = not so good. Fat, softish but firm reddish buds = good.... small, brown/grey/black dry to crumbly buds... or no buds = bad.
Bark = good. Buds = bad. My heart hurts a little right now...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bark = good. Buds = bad. My heart hurts a little right now...
Referring back to my original reply, the buds may be dead but I thin the plant is still alive but experiencing a set back. If you pretty much ignore it (it is in the ground where it has been for awhile) it will back bud I am pretty certain. In any event there is nothing else you can do but wait.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had similar buds and healthy bark and the tree managed to produce new buds from deep into the apparently dead ones. Don't lose your faith. Let it do its thing ;-)
I have seen this happen frequently as well. Usually it is from buds that experienced freeze damage or dried out in windy winter locations.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We had a massive freezing wind storm 2 weeks ago that really impacted that tree. That might be it exactly!
That would make sense. If the tree was healthy prior to that hard freeze, it will have reserves to activate latent buds over the next few weeks. Give it time and try not to stare at it. If nothing has happened by the end of June, I'd start looking for a replacement.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was thinking on starting a similar thread, my japanese maple hasn't produced new buds, however I did some rather aggressive root pruning a couple weeks ago.

Top Bottom